Trash in water lines!?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Rookie12, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    On a recent trip to the congaree river in SC I noticed no water coming out the pee hole on my engine (2005 Mercury ELPTO 50 HP). I started freaking out because it seemed like it was smoking a little too, but no alarm buzzer and I know that it works. It turns out that I had snad in the line that goes from the pisser fitting thingie to the block on the end near the pee hole. got it cleaned out and I got water flow again. Should I be worried about more trash throughout the engine and can I flush it anyway. It runs good still, so I don't think it got too hot or anything. I should probably stick an impeller in it anyway, it's never had one, but should I be worried about water passages being blocked and the engine only getting hot on one cylinder or something. Also what does ELPTO stand for. Thanks fellas!

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    First, ELPTO
    E- electric start
    L- long shaft, 20"
    PT- power trim
    O- model designation

Mercs don't like to be ignored when it comes to good water flow. If you've been picking up sand, your pump housing and base plate should probably be replaced also.

Two yrs is about the maximum time between pump changes in mercs.

I hope you flush that engine when you get it out of that black water.

3. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    yeah I agree with the flushing . especially when you have SNAD!! that's bad stuff.. lol

hook a big one but let it go..

4. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I flushed it in the yard with the muffs the other night and let the water run through a screen and nothing else came out of it. I'm going fishin' Sat. and I'll run the fool out of it to get it cleared out. I'll get some parts coming so I can go ahead and do an impeller swap. I'll get thehousing and baseplate too in case I need 'em. I've never put a water pump impeller in a boat before, but I think I can handle it. Should you put the motor in gear before dropping the foot or leave it in neutral. I've heard both and as long as you don't move anything it should go back together good, right?

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I used to have a Merc 60 ELPTO and I always kept a pack of pipe cleaners on board to clean out the hole if it got a small piece of debris lodged in it.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Doing the job in neutral should be fine.

Recently a friend called me because of a problem he was having with the lower unit not shifting properly, after redoing a water pump on an older 60 merc. If that happens, put the controls in forward and be sure to twist the shift shaft in the lower unit into forward.

After he'd tried to do it 3 times, I gave him that little bit of knowledge. He called back in about 10 minutes to tell me, "It was so easy a cave man could do it".:lol:

7. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Thanks on that info. Bobpaul! What all gaskets will I need. I take it there is a gasket between the foot and the rest of the motor and then gaskets for the pump housing and baseplate, correct? If so, what type are they so I can be sure and bring home the tools I need to scrape off the old ones. It sounds like a prety easy job really, and I won't need to drain the lower unit oil b/c it will be contained, right? Thanks!

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    No gasket between the lower unit and the body, just at the pump housing.

Get something narrow to scrape off the gasket material, and use a gasket sealer.

When I do a water pump, I always change the lower unit oil. It's cheap enough and check the prop shaft for fishing line.

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Thanks Bobpaul!

10. Thommo

Thommo New Member

State:
    Tasmania, Australia
    The "pee hole" is only a tell tale to let you know water is being pumped. I agree it is frustrating when it isn't pissing however if you KNOW that the pump is pumping i.e. when you run it with the muffs and water exits the prop, then relax some and enjoy the fishing.

Regards Thommo

From Tasmania: way down under

11. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    If your engine has a flush fitting I highly recommend getting some salt away. I always flushed my engine after brackish water and salt water use with regular water. Then one day I decided to inspect under the thermostat. When I removed the thermostat housing I realized that the regular water wasn't doing anything. I bought the salt away flusher and solution. After about 6 treatments in 24hr intervals I took the thermostat housing back off. All I can say is that salt away is worth its weight in gold to me. The water jacket looked like brand new, and the thermostat was clean. As for the water impeller installation, the only thing that was a pain for me was getting the shift shaft to line up when putting the lower unit back on. Other than that it was very easy to do. For cleaning a clogged tube, I just keep about 4' of weed eater string in my boat, its stiff enough to clear a blockage and is re-usable.