Trapping with snares

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by Chrisingeorgia, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    I've had good success over the years trapping coons and beavers with snares. Is anyone else doing it the old fashioned way?

2. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

whats the old fashioned way? legholds?i run snares from time to time for coyote and bobcats

3. Chrisingeorgia

State:
    NY
    lol You got me there Tom. I guess "old fashioned" wasn't a good way of putting it. I see snaring as a more primitive means of trapping as opposed to metal traps like leg holds. It's more rewarding to catch an animal in a trap you made with your own hands.

4. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    i don't use snares near as much as i used too. never have tried them on coons much. used to catch quite a few beavers in them though. only broke them out once last year to catch a coyote that was visiting my carcass pile. after trapping season is over, i plan to do some snaring for coyotes in the red river bottoms in northwest louisiana. i have never tried catching coyotes for the live market but i'm looking forward to trying it.

5. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i have been playing around with them a bit this year for coyotoe and bobcat with mixed results......did you know that snares really havent been around all that long?they werent really used in any great number untill the 1950's or so i have been told.i do like them they are easy to set and real cheap!!! i love cheap. you can buy 5 dozen of them for just one dozen of good legholds

6. Chrisingeorgia

State:
    NY
    Snares were widely used among North American Indain tribes. Infact they're probably used much less now days then they were back then. We have the benefits of supermarkets and fast food. Food for thought ;)

7. Chrisingeorgia

State:
    NY
    Bobcat sounds interesting. To bad we don't have any around here that I know of.

8. flannelman

flannelman New Member

wats the best way to make a snare? they could be useful around here for the abundence of coons

9. Chrisingeorgia

State:
    NY
  10. flannelman

flannelman New Member

thanks for that sight man, im gonna go check the local laws and see if it says anything about snaring and make a couple. that was helpful

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i just buy mine, you can buy them almost as cheap as you can make them

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

chrisingeorigia, i am pretty sure you got cats down that a way,heck just look around steep ravines and see if you can pick up there tracks

13. Chrisingeorgia

State:
    NY
    I met some hunters who claim to have seen a bobcat, but I've never neen one and I have been hunting the same woods for years. I have seen some tracks on the sandbars along the river that are definitely feline but look too small to be a bobcat. there's also lots of residential areas near by which makes me think they're probably from a house cat. I don't want to risk catching a pet.

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Bobcat tracks are not as big as you might think. They are bigger then kitty cat though. Just because you been hunting the same woods for years don't count out bobcats not being there. I have only seen one bobcat on our farm outside the fact of being in a trap.

15. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Anyone have a site to purchasing snares?

16. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

try prosnares on the web thats where i get mine

17. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    The snare shop. They have every thing you need with great service.

18. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

no afence or anything but i wouldnt wish the snareshops snares on anybody.they do have alot of good stuff but the snares just isnt one of them

19. flannelman

flannelman New Member

i set up a coon snare a weeks ago. i went to check it out today to see if i got anything and to my luck, it looks like the coon ripped the stake right out of the ground and got away with my trap. it is boggeling my mind how it got the stake out...i knew they were strong and fiesty but god dang

20. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i would suggest useing earth anchors like a berkshire or something like insted of stakes they are lighter and have a better holding power