Trapping Turtles

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by altcatmaster, Jan 2, 2010.

1. altcatmaster

altcatmaster New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Can anyone tell me how to trap a turtle about the size of a 15" tire and wheel it has invaded my buddys pond and it is devasting the fish I aint had time to go sit and shoot it so I thought out of all you knowledgable folks you might tell me how to make a trap. Also are them damn things that big fit to eat? Aint never ate one....

2. Papa64

Papa64 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Take a number 10 coffee can, driill a hole in the bottom and run a steel leader through it, then put a treble hook on it. Now drill four holes around the side by the open end, use screws to fasten a treble hook at each hole, cut the outside hook off so you only have the two hooks facing the inside. Drop the treble on the steel leader down and bait it up with a chicken liver, now tie your line to the other end of the leader and stake it down on the bank. Your big buddy should come up and stick his head up in the can to get the liver, the hooks around the open end will snag his neck and he won't be able to get his head back out and will be up on the bank in the morning waiting for you to chop it off. Wait till the next day and unscrew the side hook or hooks that has him caught and take the head out and rebate if you think there is another one out there. And YES them big old turtles are great eating. Good luck on catching the booger.

3. altcatmaster

altcatmaster New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thank ya kindly what size trebles and a #10 tin can is that about like a 2# coffee or green bean can

4. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    thats a good trap,but the one i use is.i take a peice of ply wood,mine are 4x4 and screw treble hooks in it,10 or 12,the more the better.after that take and submerge about a foot of it in the water,right at the bank.tie it off to a tree or stake.it has to be slanted,pour chicken livers on it and let the blood run in the water ,or use a whole chicken(best),just cut the chiken so it bleeds,does'nt have to be cleaned leave feathers on.i've caught up to 3 at one time.when they go to slide off the board,they hook them selves.and yes they are great eating.good luck.

5. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    I bet that there's more than one in that pond! After you get one keep rebaiting the trap untill you don't catch anymore. Kill all them Buggers frigging useless things. What good are they doing to the pond? LDJ :cowboy::freaked-out::freaked-out::male-fighter1::male-fighter1:

6. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    we use a empty gallon milk container, unbent wire coathanger as a leader to a 15/0 j hook and just jug fish it 5-10 ft from the bank, we use a whole dead bluegill, pumpkinseed, or yellow perch or a chunk of old rotted deer meat as bait, catch a bunch of em that way, and theyare some GOOD eatin