Trapping Perch (Sunfish)

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by AwShucks, Jan 3, 2007.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Tony and I have been having a somewhat discussion as to wether it is legal in OKlahoma to trap perch for bait. He contacted someone who said "yes, it was legal". I got an e-mail from the Dept of Wildlife Enforcement Divison (CPT Deckard, I believe it was) who said "no, it is not legal to trap sunfish in Oklahoma". So, we have kinda been stuck. Today I went to OKC to get my lifetime Hunting/Fishing license, and while there I went to the enforcement division offices and visited with a LTC Edwards, Room 202, Oklahoma Dept. of Wildlife. He pulled out a copy of the regulations and on page 9, in the left column under the heading of SEINES, CAST NETS, TRAWLS AND DIP NETS he read and stated that it was legal to take perch by these manners if they were being used for personal bait (not for sale) and you complied with the length, size and mesh requirements. I asked specifically about trapping. It is illegal to use minnow type traps to trap game fish or non-game fish in Oklahoma. So, the trapping of perch is illegal. A no-no. Something NOT to do.

While there I also asked the age old questions about juglines. Senario...a jug is washed ashore. Can you dispose of it... answer - if it does not have a legible tag with the owners name and address, it may be disposed of. Otherwise, it is illegal for you to tamper with the jug. Second senario...a jug is in the water with green slimy stuff all over the lines...can you dispose of it...identical answer. LOL

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Good info lawrence, not what I wanted to hear, but good none the less

3. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Notice he said legal if trapping for personal bait, hmmm

4. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Hmmm.... this is something that I called our game warden and asked him specifically. He said that catching perch with a trap was legal. Therefore I used a perch trap last year in private ponds as well as a few public creeks. Worked out fine. He said as long as game fish weren't being caught and kept in the trap, then it would be fine.

I guess if nothing else, I'm excited to know how my game warden feels about it.:cool2:

5. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Well, I guess I am going to continue to break the law, when I find a jug that has moss and it is humg up, I accidently end up cutting the line, and not wanting to liter the shore line, I pick the float up, and dispose of it when I get to a Marina. I too appreciate the answer, because I often catch perch in my net when I am getting shad around docks.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If you catch perch in the cast net, it is legal to use them for bait... that complies with the data posted above. What is not legal is to make one of the mesh traps like in the library and set it in the water. If you catch minnows or crawfish in a mesh trap, your okay.... if you catch other fish, they have to be released. You can catch a 15 lb bass on hook and worm and turn around and use it as whole bait or cut bait for big blues... the thing is any fish has to be caught by a legal means before it can become bait. cast nets are legal for shad, and if you catch sunfish, or other non-game fish, you can keep them... if you catch bass, crappie, catfish, etc, you must release them or pay the price. The Lt Colonel said his office should be notified of jugs, trotlines and limblines which are not being maintained iaw state laws/regulations. Guess they'll set up a sting operation or such..lol

7. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Hey AwShucks did you happen to ask about the limbline and yoyo question we had?

Larry

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Looks like we still have a problem. Lawrence, I saw him after you did, and he told me that we could use bait traps for bluegills, as long as it's for personal use.

Also, asked about the pvc/yo-yo and they're alright to use.
    Pvc, itself for a limbline ain't.
    Will

9. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I spoke with all game wardens in my area and they all said perch traps were legal. But like Lawrence said they come under the mesh size rule. You can not use minnow traps or anything like 1/4 inch mesh for perch traps.And like the rule said,the perch are to be used for personal use only,not sold.Also traping of all game fish is illegal.
    All of the game wardens said the traps should be marked just like a jug or trotline with your name etc. and should be checked as such.They also said it was a grey area because the law does not actually mention perch traps by name.
    I will put my name on paper seal it in plastic and attach it to my trap.At least I know where my game wardens stand on the issue.
    I think I might take one to one of the meetings Lawrence mentioned and get them to tell me specifically yes or no in front of witnesses.
    But to say it falls in this or that catagory leaves to much open to individual opinion.They need to be specific on the rule and mention the traping of fish, perch to be exact.This might be a good time for an amendment to a rule?

10. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Well, looks like the issue of traps for Bluegill is still up in the air.

11. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Your right Tony, but it's only up in the air with the wildlife dept. They do not mention perch traps...Saying the law is up to the determination of a game warden is not a law. I will follow the law to a (T),but it just needs to be specific.Lawrence and I have both contacted the Ok city office and both got different answers.I just want to see it in writing. And mentioning the trapping of perch. Saying it comes under this or that heading is not an answer.I hope to get this question answered Tues. night.
    Lawrence,not trying to argue with you brother,I just want to see it in very specific writing.I'm tired of hearing official opinions from OKC.....JMO?

12. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Me too Allen.

From the local Wardens for Tulsa and Rogers Counties, both have stated that perch traps/gill traps are legal. 1 response I got from OKC said they were, 1 response said they weren't because bluegill were game fish. Yet the regs state that they are nongame fish. Deffinately need a good clear decision on this one.

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'm with you Allen. I want to follow the law and not get involved with any gray areas.

I will also be attending the meeting in OKC next Tuesday night at 7:30, I believe it was. If I remember, I'll try to get more clarification. By reading the information on page 9, I interput it as he told me... no trapping of perch is allowed. Seining, netting, hoop nets, and cast nets are allowed. However, I think the only thing in the book about traps was referring to turtles... maybe wrong on that also. LOL

14. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Lawrence,the meeting I'm attending will be in Tulsa.Maybe if they get it from both ends they will be more specific.I don't know about you but I can't afford any tickets based on someones (game Wardens)opinion.I have talked with most of the game wardens around here for years and have never had any problems. They will usually even cut you a little slack as long as you try to comply with the law. Allen

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would hope that I also could talk my way out of a ticket - but you never know what side of the bed the warden got up on. LOL. It should be spelled out in black and white that you can "TRAP" or not trap sunfish for bait. The regs do lead for a lot of room to interput them differently.

16. leadsinker

leadsinker Member

State:
    Wichita, K
    Kansas Regs are alot different than Oklahoma, but this is the way ours are written:

TAKING OF BAIT FISH
    Bait fish (as defined on Page 7) may be taken for noncommercial purposes by the following methods: seine not larger than 15 feet long and four feet deep, with mesh not larger than one-fourth inch; fish trap with mesh not larger than one-fourth inch and throat no larger than one inch in diameter (must be tagged with fisherman's name and address);

Bait fish:
    Minnow or carp family (Cyprinidae), sucker family (Catostomidae), top minnows or killifish family (Cyprinodontidae), shad family (Clupeidae), sunfish family (Centrarchidae), excluding black basses and crappie, which may be used only if caught by hook and line.

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    According to this page:
    http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/fishregs/general_regulations.htm

“IT IS UNLAWFUL TO:
    use and/or place into lakes and reservoirs of this state any container, including but not limited to drums, cans, tubs, boxes or barrels which attract, entice or lure fish into an open cavity within the container.”

I would think this language covers it? Could be wrong about that, but I would try to get a written answer to this before I would go out there with a trap.

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    That reg has the intent of prohibiting noodlers from placing "spawning structure" for flatties.

I trap sunfish, but the reality is, I can catch more, quicker on hook and line.

19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Dave,

You are probably right about the intent of the language.

In my limited experience with traps (once), it produced a lot more perch than I expected. But I'm like you, I can catch what I need with a pole as fast or faster. But I'd probably use a trap if I were trying to catch enough for a trotline or a bunch of jugs.

20. dobbie

dobbie Member

Lawrence would this law be the same for private ponds?