Trapping needs

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by TX Fisherman, Mar 27, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    what is everything that you need for trapping racoons, and squirrells i already got snares and live traps (no aloud to use foot traps) workin on gettin some stretchers (savin up for some) and anything else you need? where do yall suggest putting dried and stretched furs?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well I cant help ya on the tree rats but you need some type of lure for the coons,
    i've had real good sucess on sardines,grape jelly and comercial baits/ lures I dont use livetraps but i havw used snares for coyotes and cats .My favorite water set is the Tin fish,take a piece of tin cutout in the shape of a fish ,cover the 'fish ' with tinfoil wire it to the trap pan and set in a shallow riffle in a creek. they cant resist grabbing a bright shiny object!!but since you cant use footholds maybe you might come up with a new twist on an old method.,hope this was some help

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Wow Kevin.
    Trapping is kinda like fishin. You always "need" something.
    Snares are mostly used as a blind set. No bait.
    There is a set used by mostly foothold trappers called a "Big bait set."
    Basicly its just a lot of bait ,like a whole deer, with a few paths leading to it. Guard the paths with traps,or in your case snares.
    For your live traps use lots of bait inside. Make it smell strong.
    Make combination snare and live trap sets. In the early season the family still hasn't broken up. They travel as a group. Mom and kits.They don't break up until it gets difficult for mom to feed them all and feed gets scarce.
    If you are gonna stretch your own pelts you need a fleshing beam. I made mine with a 6" long 2X8. Taper 1 end so its about the size of a medium coon stretcher board. Don't make the end pointed though. Leave the end about 2" wide or you will be poking your belly with it when you are scraping. I'll post a pix as soon as out digital camera gets here. I found instructions on how to make it many years ago but I can't remember where.
    There are several tools that you can adapt for fleshing. I used a large metal serving spoon which I broke the handle off for scraping.Don't use Moms. You can buy one at the dollar store for a buck.It needs to be dull.
    Several sharp knives , they get dull cutting hair, are handy. a sharpening stone is nice.
    Push pins (like thumb tacks) are a must if you use stretching boards.
    Some combs and brushes to get the burrs out of the fur are necessary. Don't use your sisters. Dog grooming stuff is good enough and probably will last longer.
    Well there are a few things.
    I still suggest getting a subscription to Fur-Fish and game. Lots of good artickes on trapping there. The Trapper is the official publication of the NTA
    National Trappers Association. Its a good group and they have some good learning articles too.
    My advice Read Read and then Read some more. See if you can find some stuff at your public library.
    best of luck
    just

4. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Kevin, I have to say, when I grew up there were few tools for trapping available for me to use, so I made most of my own stuff. This has served me well. Now that I am old and can afford more modern tool and traps, I purchase a lot of my equipment. I still make lot of the things I need though, as it is cheaper and cooler to do it yourself. The only way you will know what you need on the line it to figure out what works best for you. The tool you need and the junk you don't. I have seen some people carry a pile of tools on the line with them and use a different tool for ever step of the trap setting process. I travel light. I a set of fencing pliers for my hammer, wire cutters, and rake on a water line. I do carry a box with all my tools for fox and cat line though. If you watch two trappers, they will not use the same tool to make the same set. It is what works best for you.

As far as the storage of dried fur goes, keep it in a cool, very dry place. You don't want it shrink any more by heating it up and you don't want any moisture to get to the already dry fur as it will allow mold to grow and ruin the fur. Hope this helps. Oh, to get and idea for tools you might need, look up MTP on the web. They have a good catalog of tools as it is trapping supply store only.

5. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    yes sir try i make my own tools too, i dont make much money and i didnt find it right to go askin my dad to pay for my trapping supplies, so i made my own live traps and am makin my own snares, the flesher ill probably wind up buying, probably try and mow a neighbors lawn to get the money, but thanks for the help you guys!

6. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Kevin, here is link to pic of me fleshing a coon. You can see I am use a old draw knife that is dull. You can find these a flee markets a lot of times for as little as $10. I flesh my critter different from anyone else you will see. Check it out and you can see my fleshing set up.
    http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n185/cuttingout69/mefleshingcoon.jpg
    http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n185/cuttingout69/mefleshingcoons2.jpg
    http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n185/cuttingout69/fullviewbackside.jpg
    http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n185/cuttingout69/frontview.jpg
    http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n185/cuttingout69/backsideofbeammount.jpg
    http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n185/cuttingout69/coonbeam.jpg

7. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    great pics, so about what are the dimensions of that? i think i see how i wanna do it, so you bassicly skin it, clean it and then you flip it inside out and get all the fat and grizzle of it with the flesher?