Trapping for neighbor

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by TX Fisherman, Apr 1, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    our neighbor had some pest racoons he gave me 10$ to trap them, but i cant keep pelt considering its after trapping season and im trapping it because its being a pest. i put a live trap out with about 30 craw dads (i caught the crawdads 2day) left it by there trash cans hope ill catch him, i can only use live traps because of neighbor hood cats, hope i catch soemthin

2. LRTX1

LRTX1 New Member

State:
    Alachua, Florida
    Coons will eat a lot of stuff. If the craws don't work try some old donuts or honey buns. I've had good luck on the sweets in the past. I haven't trapped coons in 15 years, brought back some memories.

3. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Sounds to me as though your own your way to being ADC. Good job and keep it up. I picked up another ADC job last week. I have to set for some beavers this week.

4. gumripper

gumripper New Member

State:
    va
    i had the same problem with possums but i solved that problem with lead poison. works pretty good!

5. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Bag corn will work for coons in live traps too. Cats/dogs won't bother eating it, saving it for the coons. I use a couple live traps around the hog traps when the coons become a problem.

6. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Whats the ADC? like an organazion of somesort?

7. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    (ADC)Animal Damage Control. Just a better sounding way to say getting ride of problem animals in the neighborhood.

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I don't think you'll have any problem catching that coon with what you're doing and if you have trouble with the cats just put a shallow pan of water at the entrance to the trap, it'll keep the cats out, they don't like walking in water.

9. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    You've never seen my house then have you? My cat like to walk around the bath tub with it full of water, then slip in. I have never seen a house cat lover water as much as mine. That is a good trick that I did not know though. Thanks for sharing.

10. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    You might want to try marshmellows for bait. Coons like them and cats pretty much leave them alone...... Good luck.

11. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Strawberry frosting gives off more scent and cats don't seem to be drawn to it . Marshmellows will add eye apeal too . Combined they oughta do the trick . Sometimes you may need to dig down under the treddle of your trap and set your bait there as some coons reach across the treddle and rob you .

Yotepeeler

12. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    If you have trouble with the neighborhood cats, then my best advice is to just keep trying. Eventually, you'll weed through the kitties and start catching the coons. A few small fish in the trap will catch coons easily, but cats like them too. The honey buns work exceptionally well for coons, I can't remember ever catching a cat on a honeybun... food for thought I guess.:big_smile:

13. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    relocate them to your trapping grounds.

14. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Catch any coons yet???

15. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i have considered adc work but i really dont want to mess with in town stuff if i could ever line up some big cattle ranches or something that would be cool