Trapping crawdads

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by malaki, Jun 9, 2006.

1. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    i've searched the fourum on this topic and there isnt much on this topic so we need to change that. i looked around at traps rangeing from $3.68 to 15.95 and didnt see much diference in them so i got the one from wallyworld to try out. the main diferece i see is the opening, the one i got is only 2 inches wide the other was the width of the trap. i took it out to the old wooden bridge that crosses catfish creek and baited it with some beef liver i had cut up in 2" squares for catfish bait (abot 6 pieces) and lowered it off the bridge next to some concrete and rip rap in about a foot of water. left it overnite and the bait was gone and the trap was empty.

should i put the trap so its out of the water so fish cant get in? should i make a one way door so what goes in doesnt go out? i live in a rual area and bait stores are rare and in the opposit direction from where i live and would like to start catching my own bait. any tips would be appriciated.

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Jeff and Welcome aboard. In my experience first of all not all rivers and streams have an abundance of Crawdads, I have always had my best luck in back water slews and back waters. crawdads like to burrow in the mud somewhat . I would try another location some place that the water is standing.As for what happened to your bait It would be my guess that someone checked your trap and dumped your bait out. just my opinion! good luck and good fishing, Bigcatman0816.

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Yep sounds like somebody stoo your bait, My trap has an opening only 1 inch i have never had thm crawl out o it. Slack water is the key or watch the trap so no one else get to it before you do. I like to bait mine with chicken legs or wings. It gives them someting to o while trapped . they will clean the bones. just watch for coons.

4. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    if the place ur puting it at has very shallow water(1-3 inches)then set it right on top of the rock with a little water in it i mostly use bread balls for bait in the traps

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have had good luck using the carcass from a flayed fish for bait. I have several traps, round ones and square ones. Dosen't seem to matter on size and shape. The entrance holes in mine are about an inch. I think the main thing is to be sure there are crawdads where your trapping. They are not that tricky. I leave mine in over night and sometimes have 75 or 100 in the morning. Good luck......

6. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    i dont think anyone stole my bait, theres very litle traffick and not much for fishing and three miles from no where. i put it where you couldnt see it unless you were on top of it. flat1 said in another thread that he used beef liver. i just bought a side of beef and that came with it and i wont eat it and neither will the cats araound here. i just wandered if it was minows or somthing but that was a lot of liver for there not to be a trace left in there. theres alot of smaller creeks aaround that i can try, just need alitle help. keep the tips comin!!

7. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    looks like the rain is goinng to miss us so i took it back out to a different location on a tributary to the first creek. i didnt notice any activity in the water last night but in this spot i could see minows and a lot of rigs on the suface. i put the trap facing the bank with the opening about half way out of the water. i will let you know the results tomarrow.

8. fishmania

fishmania New Member

State:
    kentuky
    you mite want to bait some areas with dead fish under a large rock if your traps do not work that is how i get my crawdads

9. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    creeks. i let my traps go in a creek for about three days and i bait them with dead baby shad. usually do pretty good. all the hard shell which is mainly what is caught around here. i soak them in a bucket of butter milk softens up pretty good. the small mouth in the creeks here love em.

10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I just use my minnow trap with some left over cutbait or liver in the bait holder. I have caught hundreds within half an hour or so. No problem with them escaping, there more interested in eating!

11. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    thats what i use as well is a minoow trap i just open the ends a lil\

12. dcmust

dcmust New Member

State:
    missouri
    I live in Missouri and there is a law that the trap can only have a 2 inch opening. You may want to check your local laws just so you don't get busted.Best of luck

13. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    just checked the trap. 2 minows and no crawdads. at least my bait was still there! lol.

14. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Dont give up yet I know the craws here in Ky have been soft in the creeks because of the full moon. Those soft ones cant move around to get in your cage if thats the problem. Go down there & see if you cant catch some & see if there soft, it'll be better bait. Or just wait a few days & try trapping again!...Abu65

15. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Abu65,
    What makes them soft? I've caught some in the past that were soft and also caught the hardshelled ones all in the same day.

16. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They shed there outer layer, it's a molting process as they are growing. I do not think that you can make them soft. When you go looking alot of times youll see there hulls laying around..Abu65

17. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    thanks for all the reply's! so far no luck but the biggest soft shell i've evere seen seems quite attached to the trap. lol wish i would have had the camera he was sitting there with his head on the trap. must have been 2' tip to tip. i will let you know if i get anythig.

18. GrayGhost

GrayGhost New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Can you freeze them and they will stay on the hook ok? I've been thinking about buying me a trap or two and trying to catch a bunch and put in the frezer until I go back to the river but didn't no if it would be ok or not

Ghost

19. taterpicker

taterpicker New Member

State:
    Batesville Arkansas
    The simpliest way i have found to catch crawdads is to get you some 3 liter sodapop plastic bottles. Remove the lid an cut the top off where it stops tapering . Turn the top you cut off over an put 2 or 3 bread ties in it to hold it back on and punch a few holes in the bottle so it will sink. Put in a few small gravel to hold it down. Add a little hamburger for bait. Crawdads go down the neck of the reversed top an cant find a way back out.
    I cut a three sided square in the side an tie it back with a bread tie for
    removing the crawdads. Tie a string to it for easy retrieval. If you eat bread an drink sodas the only cost is the string. Put out several because an occational coon will do a number on one sometimes.
    Works for me, Good luck in your trapping (taterpicker)