Trapping Coons

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by Drum Andersen, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    What is your guys favorite set, bait, and lure for catching coons?

2. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    My father-in-law did real good using Sardines in live traps.

3. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    i've used soured corn or sweet feed

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Drum there a little out of season now but bank holes along the water, with carp heads are hard to beat. I usally bought fish oil to squirt around the set also. Throw in some blind sets and some snares. Look where they walk!!!!!

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    If a 220 conibear is legal in your area a bucket set it by far the best. Bait, chicken bones from your local diner work great.

6. backwoods

backwoods New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I use tunafish or dog food in a live trap.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Krispy Kreme doughnuts...they love 'em.

8. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Every now and then I'll have one brave one raid my trash can and make a mess all over my yard. So I got some plans for a homemade live trap off the internet. I'll bait it up with sardines and dog food and I always catch the SOB. Once I had a skunk in there. LOL

9. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    i use 4 different sets for coon

#1. 220 set in a dry land trail set. you can find these running along the banks with the creeks. also look for trails leading to the water from den trees, along fence rows, coming down outa the hills, etc. there is always trails to be found if there are coon in the area.

#2. 220 bucket cubby set. i use salted buffalo (fish) for bait. these have to be set up in an area that has no chance of catching a dog. whatever sticks his head in there will be graveyard dead. i use these sets on my river line. i set them on islands and rock walls.

#3. #2 longsprings blind set in the water on drowner rig. i set them along the bank in between 2-8 inches of water. try to find natural walkways that the animal will be traveling.

#4. bait set with #2 longsprings set in the water on drowner rig. the areas i trap usually have trees in the water. i tack a piece of salted buffalo to the tree with a fence staple and bed the trap under it. this set works great in flat water that is not very deep and where it would be hard to blind set.

lots of folks use a bunch of different sets with great results. i only use these four sets simply because they are fast and work great for me.

good luck, hope this gives you some ideas,
    eric

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    LOL!!! Good one Wolfman!!!

11. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    Can anyone give me a heads up about trapping coons. I think I will be doing it this winter and need to learn as much as posible.

12. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I like leg and head traps. I usually use head traps more because it kills them almost instantally and i don't have to worry about killing it.

13. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

dirt hole set and marhmellow fluf.... snares near a water source and a corn feild

14. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    try covering the pad of your trap with a piece of foil, and setting your trap just under the water along the edge of a creek or river. only works in fairly clear water though. my question is have the prices gone back up to where it is even worth trapping now?

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I use one of the "Have A Heart" cage traps baited with dry cat food. Then I give my buddy a call. He has several coon hounds and does some training with the coons I capture.

16. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    This year I averaged about $7 a coon. The prices where down this year do to coon furs left over from last year. I really don't care what the fur prices are I just enjoy trapping.

17. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I usually use live traps for coons as well. I've got some coon dogs pups, and I like being able to bring home the coons alive to tease the dogs with.

Nearly without fail, I'll get a coon that's too darn smart for me to catch in the trap. In that case, I set a #2 northwoods in front of the trap, and block it off real well. Nails them every time. I usually bait my traps with sardines or cinnamon rolls. Silly coons can't resist.

I also end up catching coons unintentionally quite a bit in my coyote & cat sets. They're usually baited with bill nelson cat bait.

Jerrod

18. Whitelightnin

Whitelightnin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use 1 & 1/2 coil spring traps. The #11's are good also but I like a larger jaw spread. I try to use sliders so the coon gets into deep water & drowns. If the water is not deep enough, I wire it to a small tree or large bush. I use double #11 wire or tripple #14 wire & twist the wire together. Coon are VERY strong & I have had them break single # 11 wire before. If I have to wire the traps off solid, I like to make sure there are lots of small bushes for the coon to chew on within reach.

As for sets, I use mainly pocket sets. I bait with fish chunks. Thats where all those carp I bowfish during the summer go to. The pockets I dig are about 6 inches in diameter. I dig them as deep as reasonable. They MUST be deep enough to keep the coon from reaching in & getting the bait without stepping in the trap. NOTE- coon set on their haunches & reach with both front paws so they can sit just outside the trap jaws & still reach over a foot back into the hole so dig it as deep as you can. This set also takes a lot of mink for me.

I use a few blind sets also but you need to be able to look at an area & know where they will step. That comes from time spent on the trapline.

One other thing. Coon travel in family groups A LOT so ALWAYS set at least 2 sets in each area you set up. I try to put in at least 3 sets at every location. Some places, I will have as many as 6 sets within a few yards.

Good luck with your trapping.

James

19. cottonwoodsforever

cottonwoodsforever New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Drum Andersen, I like the pocket the best. But I'd rather use a canoe or my pickup.

-Mike

20. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Haha, good times!!!