Trapping bullhead catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by justwannano, Dec 9, 2006.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I've been told about a good bullhead pond near my sons house. I've never used bullheads for bait before.
    I want just enough to bait a few bank poles for the weekends.And I don't really want to have to keep them alive for weeks on end.
    Anyway I was wondering how bullheads are to trap.
    Im thinking of the trap plans here on BOC.I'm almost sure I already have all the materials and can even think of some improvements to the trap.
    Whats the best bait to use in a bullhead trap? How about velveeta?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Bob I fished with Ken, a member here, before he got shipped off to the dirt sea. He just used dry dog food in his traps. The kind that made gravy when mixed with water. Good Luck

3. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    For bullheads in a pond I would use small pieces of beef liver. When in other scenerios I make my own bait for targeting bullheads by (with an old blender and make sure the fatty grisle is cut out) blending beef liver then adding wheaties till you can make a dough bait with it. Very good for bullheads but they also like regular beef liver. Hope this helps and let us know the results.

4. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Sliced ham or processed cheese slices work the best for me, in one of my local holes that is over-run with the SOBs. Also you would be amazed on how big a bullhead will fit through the small hole on a minnow trap!.

Aaron

TA2D

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i use at&t to catch mine. Old wind up phone with pieces of iron tied to each wire for weight. I set them about 6 ft from shore and toss some cubes around them, wait for an hour and then crank, those little fellas will float right up, i use net to gather them and then put in 5 gal bucket. No need to areate they will stay alive for about a week in just a 5gal bucket.

6. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I have once heard of using PVC pipe to "trap" the catfish...they go in and can't turn around to get out....does anyone have any further information about this? Our local pond is overrun with bullheads....

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have filled a perch trap up with bullheads. just suspend fish chow in middle of trap. the holes might have to be bigger if bigger poli's are in there.

8. catfishjoey

catfishjoey New Member

State:
    VA/OK
    Does bacon work for anyone? I hear the oils help attract bullheads

9. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use my perch trap, just put liver in a cheese cloth bag and catch all I need.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Just plane old bread will work. The square trap in the libary works great