Trapping bullhead catfish near Sanford, North Carolina?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by crusinman2002, Jul 10, 2006.

1. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey... i was wondering if i would be able to trap bullheads in the cape fear river at the nc42 boat ramp... i was planning on building Sam's Bluegill Trap from the library to trap some bullheads... if i were to try, what would i need to use as bait so that i would have a minimal number of bream... can't keep them if they are caught in a trap... if i can't get them in the cape fear, does anyone know anywhere near sanford that i would be able to get some bullheads?

2. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    I have never tried it but I would think a small can of cat food with some holes in it would work. I use fish heads for eel traps and sometimes really small cats will get in them. Some of these little creeks around here should have some small bull heads if you are careful you put your traps where no one will steal them. Went down Sat. morning and got my special device lincese renewed. A large hardware store in Lillington can get them for you. Wal-mart at Fay and Sanford didn't know what I was talking about. Don't want to go to the trouble to sell them I guess.

3. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    lol... i had to take the computer over at the walmart in sanford, just so that i could get mine... the lady there didn't know what a special device license was.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I don't know about bait for trapping them but at Bell's Church I have been catching a lot of smaller 6-14 inch bullheads. If its legal I would suggest you put your trap there. I was trying out a cornmeal base carp bait and shrimp soaked in runny chiken livers and catching them left and right. I hope that helps some.

5. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey, yeah, i was able to catch some on rod and reel up there... that was a thought, i just don't want to travel that far for bait, but if i have to i will... i've got the cape fear and harris lake both right up the road from me... its seems like there aren't many people that know bout harris lake... i was thinking about putting them in at harris, they should have bullheads... lol... but first things first.. i need to build my traps... will be doing that this weekend.

6. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    be sure to ck your regs book......in the 2005-2006(old book now) book the bluegill is listed as a gamefish and all gamefish caught in baskets pots ect must be released,,,,,the county section is confusing......says baskest are allow in the deep river under lee co but wake co does not list or mention baskets or pots......i dont know if that means they are legal or illegal????any answers????mack

7. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i know what you mean... lol... yeah... i'm going to be tossin the bluegills back... only want the bullheads, crawdads, eels... all those guys that my get into the trap... i would imagine that using traps for non-game fish would be legal anywhere as long as you have your special devices license, and you followed the regs by putting a visible tag on each trap... i know that the tag idea sucks, because some people will steal your traps, or they will empty your traps for you and stuff of that nature, so its best to put the traps where noone really goes anyways... lol... another thing that i have found easy to do with limblines and traps and all that (been doin it on limblines) is to print out a little tag that has a mini calander on it, and when you go each day, just punch out that day on the tag... that way the game wardon won't confinscate your line or trap. if the game wardon finds a limbline, trotline, set hook, or jug with an empty hook on it, they can cut the line and take it.

8. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    i set 2 crayfish trap 1 evening right at dark.....i was 99 percent sure no one was around and 99 percent sure traps were hidden....sunk out of sight and camo cord wraped around a vine....went back just after daylight next morning and 2 traps gone!!!!!! i hate trap thieves.....mack

9. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    yeah me too... i had made an eel pot, left it out during the day on a sat. i too thought it was hidden, but i guess someone seen it... they took everything out of it, and then they put it back in the water, in a differen't spot than what i had it... i had it in the undercut of the bank, they threw it out into open water... i wouldn't have cared too much, if they would have at least put some bait back in it... lol... i only needed 1 eel