trapping beavers

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by quackkillsduxs, Nov 20, 2005.

1. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    I dont trap but i found a damn and a run and i was wondering if yal could give me any tips on how and what i need to catch a couple of them

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Find a run under water and place a 330 conibear in there run. Narrow it down with dead sticks so they have to swim thru it. Be very careful setting conibears if your not familar with them. Never permanatly nail or stake one down in case it should get you, just wire it to the stake.

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Check with your local laws and see if you can use snares. If you can e-mail me and I'll give you a few sets to catch several of them. Because if you never used a 330 conibear it will hurt you.

4. quackkillsduxs

State:
    madison mississippi
    i will look the regulations up. is it hard to catch beavers

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    They get wise really fast when they see there buddys in a trap. Try to put out enough sets to catch them within a couple of days. Snares work the best when they become trap shy.

6. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    for god sakes be carfull with a 330 they are nasty critters! i think most states alow snares if they are atleast 1/2 under water ,if you use legholds it is best to set a drownding cable those suckers are strong and can pull out easly there legs are short with a lot of power

7. quackkillsduxs

State:
    madison mississippi
    i found i guess you would call it there "den" but do i need to bust it up or leave it untouched?

8. quackkillsduxs

State:
    madison mississippi
    when you catch em in a snare do they drowned or does the snare choke them? what are beavers worth?

9. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Quackkillsducks the only way I've ever trapped beavers is with #3 double spring leg hold traps and with them you have to make drowning sets.That was 30 years ago but I was young and now I'm to crippled up for it.Beaver trapping is a lot of hard work but I had a good time going in the beaver swamp every day and I killed a couple of deer too.

10. quackkillsduxs

State:
    madison mississippi
    sounds like a little more complicated than i thought it was gonna be so what am i gonna need

11. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    1. # 4 longspring [outher traps will work,this is a another can of worms] this would be the simplest.
    2. drowing wire or cable.
    3. weight to put out indeep water.
    4. (The besy advice , is get you a book on beaver trapping,)
    dobbins is good as well as suvallins, and their is alot of other good books on subject.
    You can get them on line. hope this heads you in wright direction.

12. quackkillsduxs

State:
    madison mississippi
    where can i pick this stuff up? Just a local sporting goods store?

13. crossxsticks

crossxsticks Member

State:
    oklahoma
    if its agriculture related problem like flooding , tree damage, etc and you don't want the expense of equipment of doing it yourself call wildlife services USDA in your state and ask for help most states have gov. trappers that will help you with the problem.

14. quackkillsduxs

State:
    madison mississippi
    nope there really not bothering me, im just looking for a new hobbie and it sounds like fun

anyone no how to post pics i took some of my spot so yal could check it out

15. crossxsticks

crossxsticks Member

State:
    oklahoma
    > OK - it is fun, conabears. leg hold traps. snares. as stated all work fine but also can tear out a small amount of dam to get water running and sit there @ night with spot light and shot gun works well to , provided its a legal method there. best check with game dept.

16. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    quackkillsduxs, i am a very active trapper. i would not recommend that you start out with conibears without someone helping you out that has experience with them. when i started trapping beavers it was with snares. they are very economical and easy to use. plus, if you get your hand in one you can take it off with no problem. not so with a conibear.

the snareshop webpage that spoonfish recommends is were i get all my snaring equipment. i use 3/32 7x7 cable for my snares. you can buy them made and ready to use. i use the large washer locks and about a 5foot snare.

find you some feed trails coming out of the water or the crossovers on the dam. you can get 14 or 16 gauge wire at the co-op's. if you use this small of wire you need to double it. i use the 11gauge that the snare shop offers. make sure you tie the snare off to something solid. the beaver is powerful and is gona naw on everything in site. use a 8 to 10 inch loop about 2 inches of the ground.

if you order some stuff, go ahead and get you a snaring book. sullivan has a pretty good one.

hope this helps.

17. quackkillsduxs

State:
    madison mississippi
    sorry i cant find out how to put the pictures up but i went to the pond and spot lighted and there was three swimming around. why do they slap theyre tails against the water?

18. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    For a warning to the other beavers that danger is near and get out of there.

19. quackkillsduxs

State:
    madison mississippi
    ok thanks desperado, the three beavers in the water didnt seem like they minded us even being there they didnt ever leave we finally left so we didnt disturb them anymore