Trapped water??

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by DANZIG, Jul 18, 2009.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    So, I have noticed that due to hull shape and placement of the drain plug of my cuddy I am going to have maybe an inch of water than cannot drain.

I reckon this to be unacceptable and needing correction.

Anyone know of a good way to straighten this out?
    Self leveling epoxy to bring the "floor" of the hull up a bit perhaps?

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That sux that the manufacturer would make it that way. You idea of raising the floor up in that area with epoxy sounds like a plan to me. How's the boat coming along otherwise? I've been wondering.

Bill in SC

3. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Mine does the same thing, only solution I've had, due to inaccessibilty, is to either crank it way up after I take it off the hitch, or to park uphill for a bit. Gotta get it out though cause it seems to cause humidity to build up in the closed compartments when it's hot out. And I don't need anymore stink than what I put in there myself. Good luck.

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "How's the boat coming along otherwise?"

S---L---O----W Been a lot of life getting in the way lately.
    On the bright side, I have had time to rethink, research, and revise, much of the "plan", for the better I think.

Did manage to get in some wood for the transom and get it cut this week.
    In a roundabout way that is how I came to notice this new problem.

I pulled the boat forward and nose out from under the Carport thing so as to have a dry place astern to work. A right good rain showed that the forward hatch is having sealing difficulties and of course, back came the water.

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Mmmm I am making to much of this?

I have searched and searched and cannot find where anyone has addressed this problem.

I reckon the pumps will get the most of it, but still, the idea of enduring water of any amount does not tickle me.

Whatcha think??

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Bilgeless boats are wonderful.:wink:

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Drill some holes so it can drain out....pretty simple! :wink::smile2:

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You know, you make a valid point.
    There is no hard fast set in stone rule that a drain has to be in the transom.
    Afterall the current drain plug is below the waterline so by cutting a hole in the bottom you aren't compromising anything beyond a hole in the transom. A hole below the waterline is a hole below the waterline.

Larger boats and ships have bottoms pockmarked with various holes from sea chests to seacocks.

A typical battleship has as many as 70 such "holes" in her bottom.:wink:

9. Are you seriuos dude?:eek:oooh: You trying to get this guy in trouble??:confused2: Jesus.

This ain't an ocean going vessel jenius. It will probably encounter plenty of shallow situations where the first rock, weed or log would knock open any type of bottom - of - the - hull homemade friggin plug loose!

It's on the transom, and on some models, slightly above the bottom of the floor for strength and protection.

Lawrence, you can first fix any leaks that you can find to keep it dry. You can also try to get some thick rubber mats to lay in between the ribs of the floor. It will raise the water level more to drain more, you know, it'll take up that space that the water can rest in and force it to drain, while also giving you a good stepping surface and silencing the hull for fishing. And you can remove them when ever to clean your boat out.

Personally I have put down 1" foam between the ribs and 1/4" pressure treaded plywood over top attached to the ribs. Nothing fancy, just functional. I left a small cut out where the plug is so the water will "pond" there and can be drained or bilged out easily.:wink:

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "There is no hard fast set in stone rule that a drain has to be in the transom."

T'is true. A buddy of mine has an old 14 Ft with the factory drain, starboard side bottom.

However, given all the holes I have filled already, I reckon I would rather not make any of my own. Though those tru-hull LEDs are tempting.....

"......And you can remove them when ever to clean your boat out."

Thanks John, but this area is below the deck and will have limited access when I am done. ( behind the 25 gal fuel tank, the batteries, built in seating....) With any luck, after the post shake down inspection, I will not be back there again till one of the bilge pumps fail.

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    BTW what I have got here is a Sylvan "off shore" (I think) Cuddy cabin.

Think, Starcraft "Islander", and you will have a good idea of what she looks like.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

The thru hull metal halides are better:big_smile:
    Much better for attracting bait. Just a tad bit expensive.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Of course I'm serious. I'm in no way new to boats, building boats, and boating.
    It's not on the transom for strength or protection. Most are on the transom because they are right in front of your face where hopefully you don't forget to plug and of course the transom is an easy place to get to.

Now talking about a genious (I can spell) the drain hole on the stern of a boat is below the waterline just like the BOTTOM OF THE BOAT is. A hole below the waterline is a hole below the waterline. Take the plug out of either and the boat fills with water.

I don't guess you have ever heard of a drop down dinghy drain?
    I'll go out on a limb and assume not.
    Ever heard of a seachest? I've built seachests into boats I've built.
    Ever heard of a thru hull transducer? I prefer those any day over a stern mount bracket transducer.
    The last thing I would be worried about while boating in a rock field would be my drain plug. If a rock rips a plug out you got a bigger problem somewhere else.

A drop down dinghy drain would get the job done. You could always lock it in the closed position except when storing.

14. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    G-E-N-I-U-S. Sorry, I couldn't resist it! :smile2:

15. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Them are the money boys.
    If I could afford that kind of fishing it's all I would do guaranteed.
    Fishing at it's finest.

Something about being 80 miles off in the hands of mother nature and in the living room of the big ones. The call of the sea. It gets in your blood.

17. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Them are the money boys."

Yep, I reckon so. But that light would look awful good behind and around my sweety too. :wink:

"The call of the sea. It gets in your blood."

Lake Erie is plenty large enough for me ! But then I don't have a "ship". :wink::smile2:

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If I hit the powerball I'll invite you down to swab the deck.:wink:

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Fat fingers on a crap top keyboard.
    2 fer 1

20. rrssmith