Trap prep/treatment

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by 223Smitty, Aug 20, 2006.

1. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Have you started on your traps yet? Do you dye & wax, or dip? If you dye & wax, what dye do you use?.

For me....lol, well, I've kinda started on mine. Got them drug-out & sorted, some need work (modifications), some just need adjusted & treated, some were still "good" (unused) from last season (I'm talking water traps).

I dye & wax mostly, but dipped a few longsprings this year. I usually dye in walnut hulls, but tried logwood dye last season. I'll be going back to walnuts this season.

Smitty

2. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hm.........just a dark colored dye. i dunno. i was told by fellow trappers that its time wasting to dye but i want my friends to think of me as a die hard trapper. i have my traps sorted. i plan to boil the traps. then let them rust. when they are rusted, i plan to dye them. then wax them. then keep em in a sealed 55 gal. drum. then trap. im reading books on water trapping which is what ill be doing this season. with some coyote trapping. good luck smitty! hey can you send me a coil of 11 gauge wire??? the wire you sent was 16 and too big for coyotes or w/e my brother said. i cant seem to find any 11 gauge wire!!! if you need my address, ill pm you it. then you pm me yours and ill send the money!

3. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use walnut hulls to dye my traps then wax them. I think your fellow trappers are giving you some bad advice and I hate to see a young trapper get started off on the wrong foot. The process of dying your traps takes the oder of rust and steel away as well as help preserve your traps along with the wax which makes them faster also. The dye is not just a black dye its the tannic acid in the walnut hulls or logwood dye that turns the trap black and leaves a natural oder on the trap.The speed of a waxed trap is much faster then a rusty trap and the dirt will not freeze to your trap when land trapping in really cold wet weather like here in Ohio during trapping season. Dying your traps also helps hide or blend your traps in when water trapping and the wax will keep it from rusting while setting there in the water. Most of my land traps are done and stored in oder free wooden boxes just waiting on the season to start. I've still got my water traps to do yet but I just have them hanging on the wall because I'm not too concerned about oder on them. I hope this helps you a little about the dying thing.

4. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I tried some of the dip one year but most of it says to use in a solvent or gasolene which I think defeats the purpose of cleaning and dying in the first place so I wouldn't use the dip except on water traps.

5. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    The only reason I wax and dye my land traps is to protect them. Fox are not bad about digging up traps, and cats can't smell worth a dang anyway. I always hope most of the time any way that a coyote will dig it up and move on. All I care to do with them is pop em and drag em. I do not wax my coons tarps as they do not need. I did dye some of them last year just for protection. I did once wax my coon traps and what a mess up that was. I made them a pain the butt to set and keep them set even with scaping trigers and dogs.

6. rjc2rjc

rjc2rjc New Member

State:
    ,indianapolis, indiana
    boiled 5 dozen traps today to get the old wax off.

figured out a great way to get the wax off the top of the water before you pull the trap out

i took fiberglass screen rolled it around 2 Dow rods dip it in the water about 2 inches go from one side to the other and walla. worked great

note to self do'nt wair shorts around a fire. i could have swore i had hair there this morning. lol

7. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    I'm almost finished getting my traps ready! All I've got left to do is organize them, repair them, clean them, dye them, and pack them for opening day! And you thought I wasn't working on them Tony. See, I've already decided in which order that I'm gona work on them!:roll_eyes: Or I could do like last year and drop them off at your house before I head back to Mexico! You did such a fine job of getting them ready!!!:tounge_out: Ain't nothin' like a good trappin' partner!!!!:lol:

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Something else that works good for cleaning the old wax off the top of the water when boiling traps is to use a piece of newspaper and drag it across the water then just throw it in the fire, quick clean up with no mess.

9. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use a file and square up the end of the dog and file the notch in the pan to fit. Most pan notches and dog tips are round from the stamping process The depth of the notch in the pan will determine how far it has to move before the trap fires. I file mine when I'm setting the pan tention so that when the pan moves even a little it fires, that way there's no need for pan covers. Most of you probably already do this but I thought I would pass along a little information to the newbies on the subject who read these threads.

10. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Yall see what I have to put up with. Till last season when I got his traps ready, he just went through the pile of traps till he got to one that wasn't broke the set it. Man it is so hard to get good help these days. :roll_eyes:

11. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Tony- Be careful what you store your traps in......like if that barrel contained some sort of chemical, or anything that could transfer odor to your traps.

11ga wire is larger than 16ga....but I wouldn't use either (or any "wire") for staking coyote traps.

Michael- lol.....why, if I didn't know better, I'd think you didn't want to catch any of them 'yotes :big_smile:

I like waxed traps, they fire faster than dipped or untreated traps. Also, I use some calcium chloride come freeze-time around here, and wax helps fight the corrosive effects of it.

Get you a little pocket torch & you can melt the wax right-off.....no scraping.

Eric- Let me know how them longspring kits I sent you worked. ......lol, or sounds like maybe I should ask Michael ???

Robert- lol.....you're a sissy who doesn't like drinking a cold beer out of a fridge full of coyote pee :tounge_out: ....it only smells funny for a little while........

Stick your hose in the tub & let it overflow the wax off the top....and here I thought you were starting to shave your legs for me :crazy:

John- Good point about the dressing the trigger with a file. Some parts are badly burred, and smoothing them goes a long way in helping a trap fire smoothly. Do you nitelatch any of your traps John?

Well.....been a few days since I been on....lol, 14,000 posts worth! I'll check back in soon.

Have a good one ya'll!
    Smitty

12. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Welcome back Smitty, I enjoy reading your posts. I don't know whether I nitelatch or not, I've never heard the term before, what is it? I sometimes use ant hill dirt which don't seem to freeze solid and blend it in with the surrounding dirt to cover my traps in freezing weather. I used to use calcium chloride when I trapped in Maryland but the constant freezing and thawing around here in southern ohio leaves a noticeable wet spot which probably don't mean too much, it just looks odd to me.

13. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey John (& everyone!).....I wished the days were alittle longer. Time has been scarce lately, 12 days till Convention time, then another 2 weeks later. I'll be glad when season starts :smile2:

Here's a good defination (with pics) of nitelatching:
    http://malcolmhess.home.mindspring.com/triggers.htm

I prefer the 2nd down from the top (which is the most common style). Pan always sets level & traps fires quick & crisp (as long as the rest of the trap is properly adjusted of course).

Smitty