Trap Fasteners?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by Big Bird, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Big Bird

Big Bird New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've been considering trying something a little quicker than S hooks for my legholds. What do you guys use? What do you think about the quick releases? How do Lap Links work? Just curious.

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I use s hooks, you can get heaver ones, and spot weld them if think is necessary, wouldnt use anything, that, wouldnt hold a coyote, even if your water trapping you might get a beaver or otter. payes to be on safe side, hope this helps.
    Jim

3. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use splitrings. They are similar to a keyring (but don't use keyrings as they aren't strong enough), and are availible at about any trap supply house. They require no tools, and allow you to quickly swap-out a trap quickly, should you need to. Less than $40 per 100.

Here's a pic of one on a Berkshire cablestake.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/traps/cabstk8.jpg

Smitty

4. Big Bird

Big Bird New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I used heavy S hooks last year. They definitely work great but I was spending a lot of time and effort re-rigging based on conditions(double stakes, cable stakes, drowners, drags, etc....) since I only have a small number of traps. I like the picture and idea of those split rings. I guess they just slide right on the swivel? Thanks again for the help.

5. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use heavy S hooks that I make myself out of old welding rods and a pair of heavy duty S hook plyers that opens and closes the S hook. I don't think you could get any faster then that at changing out traps even when double staked or with cable slide wires on water sets. I swivel in the center of my trap chain with an S hook at the end. I also use short chains, about 8" or so.

6. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The splitrings will fit into the body of a swivel fine, but won't fit into a closed rivet. You can also use the splitrings in the last link of chain. Using them in the swivel body will allow you that 1- additional swivel-point (at the end of the chain). I use atleast 2 swivels (on smaller traps, #1.5 & smaller), and more time than not I run 3 (3 is the minimum on my K9 traps).

If you're using rebar stake ends (whether single or doubles) you might have to drill a larger hole in them to accept a splitring. I can't say this as a fact, because I use pretty much 100% cablestakes. If you decide to try cablestakes & splitrings, it's easy to add a 2nd cablestake if you want to doublestake.

The biggest factors I like about them (splitrings) is I don't have to carry an additional tool (as in s-hooks) and they (splitrings) don't have to be "opened" to load/unload them, which will eventually stress (weaken) them by bending/rebending them. The splitrings don't lay "flat" like a keyring, they are more like a very short spring, where the ends touch, but there is a slight gap in the middle, allowing you to place the cable/chain in them, then slide it down to the end to load them.

Smitty

7. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I don't use rebar for staking land traps. I went to disposable stakes on 1/8" aircraft cable, fasten a heavy duty crush proof swivel to the cable, and place anothe HD swivel in the center of the trap. Jack.:smile2: