Transporting Skippies

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by Branj796, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    What is the best way to keep skippies fresh while transporting in a cooler? I got to travel a couple hours back and want them to stay as fresh as they can be.

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    ice down outta be good for a couple of hours

3. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    The water from the ice wont ruin them like it does shad?

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    shouldve told you to put um in zip lock bags first.get all the air out, or as much as possible.

5. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    listen this might sound crazy, but some fellas will pack their smaller deep freezer in the back of a pickup, haul it to camp, plug it up and get it cold again. and spend the weekend filling the dang thang up. then haulin it back home already frozen. i know it sounds like too much trouble, but i promise you i know some fanatics who do it.

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have a small freezer to put in my truck,yep us hard core bait hunters will do that.

7. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Iusually put them in a garbage bag and put ice around them to keep them from sitting in the water.

8. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I always take a cooler filled with ice and then salt it down real good with rock salt. Just add enough water to make a slurry and to melt the salt, after that just put the live skip into the salty icy mix and there you have it. The salt helps keep the fish from becoming soggy sorta like a brine. Just remmeber to keep it iced down real good and you are in business until you are able to freeze them properly.

9. Southerncats

Southerncats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Keep them out of water and as cold as possible.....it's best to use coolers with drain plugs and leave the plugs pulled...I wouldn't suggest bagging them as this will not allow the skippy slime/water to drain away from them...dont overfill the cooler with skipjack, pack more ice than skipjack per cooler.