transporting poles

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by carpdoctor, Nov 18, 2007.

1. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    How do u guys transport your fishing poles in a run of the mill jon boat with a center seat all the way across the middle. I was considering buying some nicer reels/poles but don't want to destroy them. Laying them bench to bench works but they sure do bounce around a lot.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You could purchase a rod box, or a length of 3 or 4 inch PVC with end caps works well also. Maybe bungee cord the rods down so they won't bounce. I'm sure there is an answer out here somewhere you will like. LOL One of the hazards of good rods/reels in a small jon boat, is they are so easy to steal... you stop at a stop light and bam, they are gone. I think I'd put them in some PVC pipe... out of sight, out of mind.

3. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't think the pvc thing would really work. Like most people taking 5 or 6 rods will be the norm. Having 6 4 inch pvc tubes would be a little to much. I am not really worried about the theft thing. I live in a fairly safe area. I have never had any problems like that.

4. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Are you talking transporting down the highway or on the water.. Down the highway I kept mine inside the bed of truck.. On the water iused the plastic 2 inch rodholders and put poles in them.. They went down the river at 30 mph with no problems..

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would suggest a specific place in the boat where you can use a bungy cord or 2 to keep them stable

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    You can get a couple of poles in 4" pvc.
    More if you take the reels off.
    I used to transport mine back and forth to the river in one.You can get more rods in it if you take the reels off.
    Then I got a couple of sets of berkley rod holders at a sale and started using one set . They work just fine.
    Last summer I mounted just one of the pieces horizontally to my steering console.I wanted to keep the unused rods off the floor while fishing. The rods stand upright. One day I forgot to put them into the side holders.
    They were still standing upright when I got home after a 40 minute drive.I've driven many miles with them securely in that 1/2 of a rod holder.
    best of luck
    just

7. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the info. I hate to admit it but I am to lazy to remove reels for a trip to the lake then reattach when I get there. Cant really use side holders because of the center bench seat that runs across the middle of the boat. I know they make upright rod tubes but I wouldn't think that it would be very good for equiptment going down the road at 70 mph. Maybe I will just have to stick with the back of the truck method for the trip there and prop them out of the way method while in the boat.

8. young fisher

young fisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Cut pieces of PVC pipe and put the on the sides of the boat.....That might help

9. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I installed berkley rod holders (slide in rubber grip for lyinf lengthwise in boat) to the sides of boat and they work fine. I also put a rubber band attachment to the holder to go across the 4 rod shafta on each end to extra secure them in pace whil driving..

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I bungy them together, and then attach the bungies to the sides. I have rod holders that I attach them to, but an oarlock and a cleat would do the trick. An old ball or two, or some towels work well as shock absorbers to protect your rods too.

Another method is Velcro. Velcro across the seats and place the top velcro over the top of your reels.

Good Luck.

11. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I took an piece of 8" pvc 14' long and cut it length ways so to have two equal trays, one for each side of my 14' jon boat. I also cut 1 3/4 holes every 8" on the side of the tray next to the boat with a matching 1" notch on the top of the tray away from the boat. The trays double as my rod holders. While traveling on water or land I bungie my rods in the trays. The rods stay at hands reach and are never in the bottom of the boat. The trays are mounted on teloscoping square tubing so I can take them off with the rods still secured in place and hang them on two shelving brackets on the wall in my garage when I get home. Works great for me. Any questions just shoot me a PM.

12. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I used to fish from and still have a 14/36 john with a center seat/livewell. I bought a pair or those rodsavers from wally world several years ago and they work fine today. I placed one on the back seat and one on the center next to the side of the boat. They hold six rods and have a velcro stap to keep them in place. Seems like they were 15 bucks.

13. okiefishkiller

okiefishkiller New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i use a 6 rod vert.tube holder, i think about 30 bucks in the catalogs. i fish 7 ft. ugly stik lites and 6500s. i also always rig all my rods in the driveway. and beleive me, your not going to outrun me to the river, but ive never had anything bad happen to my rods in route. you do have to turn all the handles of the reels outward, the tubes are spaced alittle tite. hope this helps.

14. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for all the great ideas.