Transporting Bait Fish ......

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RetiredToFish, Aug 5, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Over the last several months there has been considerable chatter on here about what is legal or not in transporting a baitfish, etc. Since there has been a recent out-break of VHS virus in fish at Clearfork Res. and seemingly different interpretations from different people ... some even in DNR .. I contacted DNR, Division of Wildlife for a ruling on this. The following is the answer I received. After reading this closely I think you will find there should be no further questions on this matter .... Garry-

I wanted to be sure that I provided correct and consistent information from our Law Enforcement and Fish Sections. I certainly apologize to anglers that might have received inconsistent information. After speaking with administrators in our Law Enforcement Section and receiving confirmation from our Executive Administrator of Fish Management and Research, I am providing the response below, which is the current approach our officers should follow. Please feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions.

Our typical direction given for questions about taking bait fish or sport fish (usually bluegills) from one water body and then transporting them to be used as bait at another water body is as follows:

It is lawful to take baitfish such as gizzard shad, minnows, and crawfish, from one body of water and then use them to fish in another body of water (fishing license required for waters in the state). It would also be lawful to take sport fish such as bluegills by hook and line from waters in the state with a valid fishing license, and then use them as bait. These fish could be transported and used for bait at another location. However, they need to be of legal size and quantity, if applicable, on the body of water where you are fishing. This is most common with persons taking bluegills, suckers, or carp for bait from one location then using them to fish for large catfish at another location.

The following State of Ohio Administrative Rules come into play here:

1501:31-13-01 Sport fishing.
    (A) Fish may be taken in any number and of any size unless otherwise restricted by the Ohio Revised Code or other rules of the wildlife division.
    (7) It shall be unlawful for any person to release any fish or aquatic insect into waters of the state, or waters under control of the division of wildlife without first obtaining permission from the chief of the division of wildlife. The intent of this rule was to prohibit exotic species or species not established in a particular watershed from being introduced. Using minnows or sport fish from one location for bait when fishing at another location has been allowed.
    1501:31-13-04 Bait and bait dealers.
    (D) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell as bait fish, or use as bait any fish or minnow not already established in waters of Ohio over which the wildlife chief has control. Typical bait fish such as gizzard shad or bluegills are already established.

Scott Hale
    Inland Fisheries Program Administrator
    ODNR, Division of Wildlife

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thank you for this valuable post

3. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thank you that helps a lot

4. JKrupp

JKrupp New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Very good information, I was always curious whether I would get in trouble for catching blue gills out of the local reservoir and using them in the Maumee with the whole "transferring fish to foreign waters" wording on the DNR pamphlet they give you with your license

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio

I Know Josh .... that has been a big question among many on here I think .... That is one reason that I wanted it clarified ... I hope it does for everyone ..... Garry-

6. elizabuilt

elizabuilt New Member

State:
    Norton, OH
    Garry, where do goldfish fit in with all that? I have heard of people using goldfish for bait and have wondered about the laws.

7. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    If I were still a GP and had received the edict that I received today by email .... And since Goldfish are an exotic speices ... I would arrest anyone that was using or transporting them to be used. Now I know a lot of guys use them for bait and when I was a GP know other GPs that did cite people for doing so. Therefore, I would not use them even though Dillon and other lakes now have an abundance of them.

I would say you should follow the letter of the law ........ Garry-:cool2:

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yeah,i have used golds and also israeli carp,since they are getting easy to find any more,and aren't too bad for bait,either.

i always thought it was illegal to take bait from one body of water to the other,from the wording and also because of disease and other bad things.

9. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I am bringing this back to the top because everyone using live bait fish in Ohio needs to know it ........ Garry-

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    great post garry! rollo

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Three cheers for Scott Hale! Thanks Gary. You know, that is the way I have always understood it. I would add that when ever I have been checked no one has asked me where I got my live bait from. Just how the fish are biting and what on.

12. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks very much for the info Gary ! I too have written the ODNR and got a mixed answer on this issue. I'm glad to finally have a clear cut answer to this question. Thanks again, Matt AKA DESODE

13. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I am bringing this back to the top .... ALL Ohio fisherman need to read this and understand it. There is a good possibility that since we have asked the question from the Division Of Wildlife and requested a specific answer that it may be now be enforced throughout the state .... I have seen it happen before ..... be prepared ....... Garry-

14. capt of the Floater

capt of the Floater New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for info it's always good to be clear on the gray areas of laws and reg. Thanks again Garry

15. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Thanks for the info Garry. Reading your post just cleared up some answers for in a post I just put up the other day regarding bait.

16. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
  17. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Bringing this up again because of similar thread with conflicting info on goldfish.

18. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    So if I catch smallmouth or largemouth bass of legal size by rod and reel, it is Lawful to use these species of game fish?

19. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Yes.

20. Vito the Catman

Vito the Catman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Garry