transplanting catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by kycatman84, Aug 10, 2009.

1. kycatman84

kycatman84 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If I go to a paylake to catch fish for my own pond then how do i keep em alive for the 8 or so hours im fishing plus the hour ride home? thanks

2. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Southern States farm supply around here sell catfish for about $65.00-80.00 per 100 for fingerlings, takes them about 2-3 years to grow to eater size around here maybe shorter maybe longer in you area but it's a good deal. May want to look into something like that to stock your pond vs. a few trips to a pay lake for about the same price to stock you pond.
    Welcome to the BOC!

3. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    You have 22 posts and you are trying to stir the pot ?

4. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    That's funny! I sent him a link to Catfish Rescue to help him out, I too had to learn about this when I came on board.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  5. kycatman84

kycatman84 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    stir the pot??
    Forgive me for asking but in witch part am I stiring the pot? Is it the fact that I took the time and my hard earned money to build a privet pond for my family to enjoy for years to come? Is it the fact that that I spent countless hours and hard work giving our pond great habitat for the fish to have long healthy lives in? Is it the fact that i have already established a bait fish popalation in this bond (sunfish, crawdads, creek chubs)? Or is it the fact that I am choosing to catch my fish out of a already stocked pond so they will have some size to them and not be eaten by the hand size bluegill? The way I look at it is I am doing the fish a favor by getting them out of the paylake and into a nice habitat that will be a long term home to them. But if you have a problem with one of thoes then I dont need or want your input (tyrpp)!
    Now if someone knows any tips on keeping cats alive for restocking then im all ears.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I found it's hard to keep channels alive for very long unless you want to go though more trouble than it would really be worth. Most hatcheries sell channels by the pound... like around 2.50 or so a pound. Thats far eaiser than what you're wanting to do I'd imagine... and probably a whole lot cheaper too. Thats what I do. Get ya some figerlings too -about 6-9 inchers... they'll probably be around 65 or so cents each. I put a couple hundred figerlings in my pond every year.

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't see that as stirring the pot really, aside from fishing in a paypond but he don't need to do that anyway and pretty soon as he'll have his very own personal backyard honey hole.... good luck. Having your own pond is great... alot of work to get it established etc. but very cool to have:wink:

8. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Thomas this is my public apoligy for my disreguard towards your post and the comments I made about it, I am sorry.
    As to your questions, channel cats and blues are very hard to keep alive without a lot of protective measures being taken. Flats seem to be able to withstand the stress of being transported but not the others, channels will most always die in transport from their home body of water to another one espicially if you have to take them very far. Not sure why but that has been my experence.
    Welcome to the BOC and if I can help you on anyway, let me know.

Steve Shaffer

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Years ago when I was transporting cats alive, we just kept them wetted down and covered with gunny sacks. The seemed to stay alive for hours, but then, in those days the cats were probably like men, a lot tougher than they are now. LOL

10. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would get a hold to a catfish farm and a transport tank..A friend of mine used to transport fish and had a trailer with tanks.He bought fish from a catfish farm and they had all sizes of cats..They even had channel/blue hybrids..Most of the fish that he bought from the farm were 3-5 lbs..I do not recall what the price was but it was by the pound..

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I bought some of those channel/blue hybreds... Dont but them!!! when they're caught in the summer, they will die EVERY TIME w/o fail from lactic acid poisoning.... The fish farmer never warned me about it, and I wasted big money on 'em

12. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    He's had them for six years now and they even survived the pond turning over..

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm just telling my experience with these fish. Every hybed caught in the summer would be floating the next day after being caught, regardless of how gental they were handled.... researching gave me the above answer as to why. My pond is 3 acres, 22 ft deep at the levy, well maintained and very healthy. The hibreds are fat, colorful and healty when caught but the lactic acid build up from being caught will kill them every time.... can't see how it would make a difference in another state unless that state was a cold one in the summer maybe. I'd be interested in how he's keeping them alive after reeling them in. It was recommended to me to put them in a super oxygenated tank for an hour after being caught.... heck with that, I just won't buy them anymore... or recommend them to anyone.

14. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    as bad as i hate to see it ... put the stringer thru the bottom lip NOT THE GILL.... if you want him to live..

I know it sounds crazy but this is how we do it ... for the ride home i have a huge wash tub(60 gal) and a pump to keep the water moveing maybe like 50 bucks in this whole setup hooked to a power inverter ... done deal keep the tank coverd if its hot throw in a half bag of ice.

If your stocking your pond build a setup you can throw in the back of the truck.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2009
  15. kycatman84

kycatman84 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    does any one know of a website that sales the hybrid catfish?

16. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    if you want the hybrids for eating i would go and just get normal channels the hybrids taste grassy. I recently transplanted 4 out of 5 channels into my neighbors pond due to request. I had some of the fish in a standard cooler for a little over 2 hours with only one unsuccessful transplant. Your best bet is to just use a search engine to find your hybrids though. I live out in the sticks of pennsylvania and there is a hatchery or fish farm or whatever 30 mins from here so you could be in luck.

17. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    yeah just put "fish farm near (your zip code here)" and call the nearby places

18. mulemann

mulemann New Member

State:
    MISSOURI JEFFERSON CITY
    Walmart and a lot of bait tackle shops sell a small battery powered air pump, runs on 2 "D" cell batterys. It has a 3ft clear hose and a ceramic bubbler on the end. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the lid of a 48qt cooler, removed the bubbler, fed hose thru hole, reinstalled the bubbler. I mainly use it for a bait tank but have used it to transport eating size fish. The "bubble box" keeps the water oxegenated, and the cooler keeps the water from getting too hot or cold. It will keep 2 dozen bait fish alive for weeks, never tried it with shad tho. Bubble box sells for about $15.00 and an old cooler is easy to come by.