Transom saver clips idea

Discussion in 'Boating' started by ncfowler, May 23, 2007.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    i have a transom saver and love it, it is the type that is connected to the trailer using a clip, not the one that fist over a roller. The clip has always been a issue with me, laying it down and forgetting to put it up when i take off the transom saver, until last week i was able to keep track of it, i know its is somewhere in the back of the truck, but was unable to find it when i got ready to leave and put the tansom saver on the motor, i had to make shift a pin till i got a new one, I got a one on monday and decided to connect it to my transom saver using my leader kit. i also got a second clip and put in my glove box as a spare in case i lose the one tied to the saver.
    Just a thought i wanted to share with you all.

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    When you disconnect the transom saver from the trailer, why don't you put the clip back in the hole in the transom saver or stick it back in the bracket on the trailer? I used to have that type of transom saver on my jon boat,and I would always unhook the saver from the motor first,and then unhook it from the trailer,and stick the clip right back in the end of the saver! When I removed the clip I would never take the clip out of my hand until I stuck it in the hole in the end of the saver.JMO

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Bingo, that's what I 've been doing for years.:lol:

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

I also do the same thing.. Clip always stays with the saver.. I've also found if you get into a routine EVERYTIME you launch or trailer your boat, you tend not to forget things like putting in the plug, etc... Do the same steps in the same order every single time.. That way, if you do happen to miss doing something, you get that "odd" feeling like something just aint right... atleast thats what works for me..

5. ncfowler

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    good point i put the clip in the bracket on the trailer most times and clip it, but for some reason the clip was missing, When i put on the saver i would also clip it but, this post was made as a suggestion in a way to perventing a clip for getting lost, But if you feel the need to take it fearther please by all means feel free, after all sometimes things do get missing.

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Grab one good picture of it and we'll see this in the library. Very handy! Thanks for sharing.

7. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Alright, I've been wondering about a transom saver. I have a 14' aluminum welded with a 5hp 4-stroke on it. The engine weighs about 56 pounds, is it necessary that I get a transom saver? I usually just bungie-strap the engine to the trailer so it doesn't bounce around.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Transom savers for small light motors is not necessary. I you prefer your motor to ride high on transport then you would need one. I think the way you are doing it now would be just fine.:lol::big_smile:

9. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm sorry if I offended you by telling you how I kept track of the clip on my transom saver. From now on I'll just keep my opinions to myself,unless someone asks for it! I'm glad that you have came up with a way to keep track of your clip,so you won't have to be buying anymore.

10. ncfowler

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    here is a pic of the way i teather my clip

Attached Files:

11. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Asked and answered on a few previous threads. I think we established that most, if not all, transom savers state that you need power tilt and trim to use them. Every one that I have picked up had a sticker that said that. If you try to use one on a non power tilt and trim engine it allows the lower housing of the engine to bang up and down on the transom saver and may do more harm than good. This can be minimized by the use of straps and bungie cords but most manufacturers plainly advise against it. Unless your trailer sits so low as to require a transom saver to prevent your skeg from dragging I would not use one.
    I transport my 25 HP Honda four stroke in the running position held down with a ratchet strap to prevent it from bouncing and swing back and forth.

YMMV

12. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    well about the transom savers yes i agree all the manufacturers of transom savers say power trim only i have a 85 hp without power trim and as i was going down the road with the motor up as the guy i bought the boat from said he always did it that way the clip that holds the motor up broke and guess what hit the pavement yes the bottom fin of my motor so I always use a transom saver and bungee the lower unit to the saver

13. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    The manual for my new Nissan (Tohatsu, Merc) says to leave the engine down in the running position for trailering. It goes on to say that, if that's not possible due to clearance problems, use a transom saver.:confused2:

I remember buying, several years back, a half-tilt bar. It looked like a short, wide U, and clipped into the unused tilt pin holes. For trailering, it pivoted up until the lower unit rested on it, and then the motor was put into reverse, to lock it in place. It worked really well, but I haven't seen one lately.