Transom replacement

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by willcat, Oct 29, 2007.

1. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    it looks like i need to replace the wood on the transom of my pontoon any suggestions or ideas????? It's pulled back some & starting to split so my steering is starting to hit when i turn right, making me make for a real wide right turn!!! any help would be much appreciated. I was thinking an aluminum plate would be better but maybe expensive, then i wouldnt have to replace it again

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    how old is the boat? A good marine plywood transome should last for several years.

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    the boat is a 1996 & is rated for a 90 horse motor but i have a 70 horse on it that the guy said came with it. He said when he bought it new the dealer told him they last about ten years. It looks like marine grade plywood that's about 2" thick!!

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I replaced mine with two one inch pieces of oak and glued them together and the plywood would work but don't use treated ply because it has an adverse effect on alum. If it has started affecting the steering I would get it changed real quick before that motor takes a swim.
    I treated mine with thompson and coated it with some good marine sealer

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    would i have to use 2 pieces for top & bottom or can i find a piece wide enough to go from top to bottom???? it's pretty wide from top to bottom!!!!!

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Try to do it in one piece if you can if you can't then glue the pieces so the grain of the wood will cross each other to make it stronger.

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    You could use a 4 x 8 sheet of marine plywood and select a thickness where you can get all you need from the sheet. For example, if your transom is 3 feet wide by 2 feet deep you can get 4 pieces that size from a 4 x 8 sheet. If the sheet is 1/2 inch thick then the 4 pieces would add up to 2" total. You would "glue" it together with epoxy resin and encapsulate the whole thing in epoxy when it's all glued up. Marine plywood has no magical water repellent properties, it is the glue they use to make it that is different to regular plywood. Whatever wood you end up using you would do well to consider sealing it with epoxy resin to keep the moisture out...W

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i'll have to measure the heighth of it to be sure but it doesn't seem to be more than 14 or 16" & about 18 to 24" wide, but does seem to be about 2" thick----thanks for all the responses i knew someone on here would have an idea!!!!!

9. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have and old tracker pontoon that someone replaced the wood with a piece of black lexan looking materal that looks like it will last as long as the rest of the boat will. In shreveport at regal plastics they sell all of this type stuff and will cut and sell you only what you need. I have also seen aluminum that thick you can buy for scrap price of about $1.50 a pound at caddo iron and general scrap. If you are instressed I will check on either of these for you if you can give me your exact deminsions.

10. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    mike, that would be awesome if i could get a hold of some aluminum that thick. i will try & post the dimensions in a little while, i'm @ work & my stepson is measuring it right now @ the house!!! Someone here just told me about the scrap deal, if nothing else i will try to look around the yards here in town for something!!!

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Will,
    A piece of aluminum 14 x 24 x 2" thick will weigh close to 60lb...W

12. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    well i went to the metal place here in town yesterday & a piece of 1 1/2 by 14 by 30 is almost 400$ & 1" is almost 200$ so i think i will go with wood. A carpenter here @ work says he will try to get me a piece of oak or maybe mesquite that big, if not i'll go w/marine plywood or a 2 x 12 of pressure treated & get my wife's uncle to fiberglass it!!! Shoot maybe a piece of solid fiberglass that size would work well also, what do yall think????

13. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    oh yeah, that is the measurement on it. 14" across bottom x 30" across top x 1 1/2 thick

14. steelytom

steelytom New Member

State:
    Cola, SC
    Don't use pressure treated. Use AC plywood and epoxy resin. Also take note that they have recently changed the thickness of plywood, it is now slightly thinner.