Transom cracking at top

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Live2Fish.Fish2Live, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Live2Fish.Fish2Live

Live2Fish.Fish2Live New Member

State:
    Dickson,Tennessee
    I have a 20 foot Grand Skiff center console boat that I recently purchased to make a catfishing rig out of and the fiberglass is splitting at the very top of the transom. I do not think that there is any rotting as of yet. What do I need to put on there to keep it from splitting any further?
    Thanks!

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If it gave enough to split at the top then it gave some down inside before it split the top. You need to either sound the transom or do a core test to see if you have any rot. If it has just started they have a product that is callet get rot and it can be injected into the transome wood via predrilled holes and it will extend the transome life a few years.
    Extend your motor all the way up like you were trailering it and then take your weight and exert the pressure down on the prop section and see how much give you really have

3. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Willard i have a 1975 70hp evenrude that idles fine but when ya put the fuel to it it dont open all the way up it seems like like its holding back,ive cleaned the carbs,installed a new inline filter,new bulb,new coil,new power pack and it still wont open up to full throdle,i cant figure it out,bout to pull my hair out ive read a lot of your post you sound to me like your know your boats so please help me if ya can,thank you..

4. Live2Fish.Fish2Live

State:
    Dickson,Tennessee
    Willard.......I knew that there were guys on here that could help me. This boat was quite a find even with the split transom. It has a 1996 Mercury 90hp that has only been in the water three times since bought and a 20 gal aluminum gas tank. I tested it with muffs before purchasing and it runs great(like a new one). A nice Hummingbird fish/depth finder,a marine radio,and a live well that is 3ft long 2ft wide and 2 1/2ft tall. It also has a foot control trolling motor. I got all this for $500.00 from a neighbor that got it from his parents. He said he just didn't have time to fix it up or use it when it is fixed up.
    If the transom is shot....is there a way I can fix it or have it fixed?Or would I just be fighting a losing battle. I don't want to be heading down the river and have that 90hs come up in the boat with me or worse.......sink to the bottom of the river.
    I am ignorant on fiberglass boats and I would appreciate any help I can get!
    Thanks Again!

5. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Jon, shoot Mark J a pm he can fix you up with anything you need about boat repairs and building

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    There is a product on the market called sea cast and I have replaced two so far with this product and am very impressed with it. If I had a chance to buy a boat of that caliber I would have to. Just test the transon like I suggested and you may not have to replace it for a good while.
    Where do you live in tenn.

7. Live2Fish.Fish2Live

State:
    Dickson,Tennessee
    Where do you live in tenn.[/quote]
    Willard.....I live in Dickson Tennessee

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You see alot of posts talking about the weight of a certain outboard and is it too much weight for particular transom.
    Weight is an issue. A bigger issue is the forces put on a hull by an outboard that is in operation.
    Its alot of force. A transom isnt the only thing that can crack from those forces.
    I know I've seen cracks in aluminum boats midway of the hull that was caused by those forces and if I remember correctly Bobpaul has seen cracks in the floor (not the bottom of the boat) by a center console that stemmed from engine forces.

As far as repairing a cracked transom? I cant tell you a thing without placing my hands on it other then there are products like SEACAST that will replace the wood in transoms.
    And of course the GIT ROT that bubba mentioned. Like Bubba said it will work if its not gone to far.
    I'd start with a hammer. Tapping around the transom and listening for changes in sound that might indicate that the wood has turned to mush.
    Bubba is correct. Core sampling works.

SEACAST can be used with two different methods covered on their site in detail. One is removing the top cap of the transom and digging every bit of the wood out and pour it.
    The other way is removing either the inner or out layer of glass , forming it up and pouring and then reglassing over it.
    I would choose the first method since I'm not an engineer or trained in redoing transoms.
    The thing not to forget is the high forces placed on a transom by an engine.

If it were mine I would have a few reputable people in the business of boat repair look at it and quite possibly have one of them fix it.
    A transom is nothing to play with. I wont touch one myself unless I'm going by engineered specs and a lamination schedule.
    I would do a top cap SEACAST repair as all I'm doing is changing the guts of the transom.

If the boat has spent alot of time outside without a cover and water in the bilge, expect the worst.
    When you spend enough time digging around these boats you learn how cheap some things are put together. Holes not sealed, the top cap is just screwed down with no sealent. Engine mounting holes not sealed etc..
    Another consideration is the bilge is not gelcoated. Fiberglass is not waterproof. If water sits and sits, its going to wick. If it wicks to wood, the wood rots.

500 dollars may not be a bad price. Essentially when you buy an older used boat you are buying the engine.
    You may find that you might come out ahead if you salvage anything you can from the boat and keep the trailer and motor you can come across a boat real cheap or even free that doesnt have a motor or trailer.