Transmission!

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by RiverKing, Mar 2, 2007.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Well I am experiencing a problem with my truck when i go from a dead stop to 1st gear, it almost feels like im peeling out or something, then it grabs, and everything is fine...Does this sound like the transmission?? Does this sound like something where i would need a whole new tranny or have it rebuilt? Or does it sound like something that is a simpler fix?? I have no experiences with trannies..It only does it from a stop to first,and it seems like it only does it when the engine is cold,and it doesnt do it constantly either. other than that it drives great, no other problems..Need some input guys.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    your tranny is slipping. its be a bad thing, but sometimes a good fluid change, or coolant flush will help. one thing folks dont realize is you have to change your tranny fluid every few years, not just drive on it till it turns brown:crazy:. a fluid "flush" every 5 years and your tranny will never go out. there are some products at autozone that you can add that might give it a little more longer life. what year and make is your truck? i know of a couple guys who work for tranny shops that re-build them on the side for like around $300. you would have to take it out and take it to them though.

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Its a 96 isuzu rodeo, 4x4 3.2 liter V6

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    eeeyewww, foreign! i was hoping you would say ford, chevy, or something. even though i think the "foriegns" are superior they can be a pain to work on when it comes to removing engines and trannies. my nissan needed a new clutch but it was such a job that i just paid a place to do it. if you take it to a tranny shop they are just going to tell you you need a total re-build which may run up to $2000. when it comes to slipping thats pretty much what you have to do. if you can get that tranny out yourself (it may be easier on an isuzu) and replace it with a used or get it re-built that would be great. give Walts on rt 68 a call and see how much a low-mileage used one is.

5. gmc3500

gmc3500 New Member

State:
    NM
    well try this. change your fluid all out and add new but then put about a cap full off alcahol in ther too. this works somtimes. but that alcahol will make the o rings shrink up some what and you can get som extra life out of your tanny. i did it in my th-400 and it went from not moving to running perfect for almost a year.

6. gmc3500

gmc3500 New Member

State:
    NM
    Well actually the whole tranny fluid changed evry 5 years your tranny willl never go out if a false statment. Dont get me wrong itll help prolong the life but heat is actually the number 1 killer of a tranny. once they get hot its pretty much history. all the clutches and bands go to crapola. plus changeing your fluid in you tranny depends on the climate that you live in and how many miles you drive. I have heard several times that you should change your fluid evry 15000 miles. and if your tranny has proper cooling on it like my truck has the radiater cooler and a sepreate one from that with a fan, then your coolent wont event get brown. i drover 25000 miles on my truck and then changed the fluid and it was still perty pink.

7. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    My wifes car had 100K on it befor I drained the pan and changed the filter. Its got 47K on that fluid now and its still pink. Theres no problem with holding the gears or shifting. If you are slipping in only in first theres something else wrong like low fluid level. Normally a bad tranny will start having problems holding all the gears. Your first gear band may be going out. I'd start calling junk yards for a used transmission. might find one for under a grand. And change the fluid like the others have said. Start with the cheapest route.:wink:

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    hello riverking. your trans may not be doomed. these transmissions are very sensitive to "loss of prime". usually caused by a poorly seated or worn filter seal. usually worse cold. change the filter and fluid. clean the outside of the valve body with a good brake cleaner while you have the filter off. and do not add any "additives, "snake oils', "or magic cures". just the recommended fluid. often the debris in the bottom of the pan will also give you a clue whats going on with the mechanics of it. some "mud" on the magnet is normal. but, if you find a handful of metal "peanuts" in the bottom of the pan, you might want to slap a 4-sale sign on it.

9. gmc3500

gmc3500 New Member

State:
    NM
    heck it may have been used too much when it was new!!:lol:

10. pokerkat

pokerkat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dude before you spend hundreds of dollars replacing the fluids, just drop the tranny oil pan, remove the filter, place a new filter on, slap the pan back on and put new tranny fluid in the transmission and you should be good to go, i have a 9'92 Isuzu Rodeo that had the same exact problem and i did what i just explained and it runs like new, good luck man.

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I know this may sound strange but take both battery cables off & touch them together for about 10 seconds.

It is a computer controlled transmission & by doing this it will discharge the capacitor in the computer & force itself to "relearn"

Then test drive it for about 10 miles after it's warmed up & see how it does. Now granted this will only help/work if the fluid isn't burnt.

HTH, Elliot

12. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    sounds like your tranny is slippin...had that happen on my old car...bought a new one..dont like messin with them front wheel drive trannys

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    This is correct. Heat is the number one cause of transmission failure.
    its not a bad idea to run a transmission fluid temperature gauge if you tow.
    Not a bad idea to run one regardless.
    I'm facing a 1500 dollar transmission rebuild myself and have been doing alot of reading on the transmission websites lately.
    There is no cure in a bottle. There is nothing on the market that can make a wornout transmission clutch not worn out.

I have the 4L60E GM transmission. I've learned there is alot you can do with these transmissions if you are doing alot of towing to extend their life like changing the stock servos to the Corvette servos, deeper pans, coolers, and of course monitoring the fluid temperature.
    keeping that fluid cool is going to make it last.

14. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Yep, i had to rebuild it...$2,000 bucks...It runs great now though.