transmission with an attitude

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by sambo, Dec 20, 2007.

1. sambo

sambo New Member

State:
    alabama
    I have a 1976 3/4ton 4x4 chevy suburban . its nothing special to look at , but man is it tough. I bought it with intents of strictly offroad . paid only 200.00 bucks for it had to put the engine back in it . while i was at it i upgraded the carb and inatke . A performer intake from edelbrock and a edelbrock 750 4 barrel . Only recently been able to drive it but, when i stomp the gas transmission fluid comes out of the filler tube onto the exhaust manifold . Dont really know what the cause is , but i plan to drop the pan and replace the filter and gasket , and fillit up with new transmission fluid . if anyone knows what could cause this , or has had this problem before i would greatly appreciate any hints to what causes this

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sam,
    Assuming that the fluid level is right, it sounds like a plugged vent.

3. sambo

sambo New Member

State:
    alabama
    where would this vent be located ? is it a hose with a little cap on it like on the differential or is it different?

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm not real sure on that one Sam. It shouldnt be hard to find, just look or feel around the tranny case above the valve body/pan area. It could be a fitting with a cap, a hose running up somewhere with a cap, or like on some older models it may have a little metal tube on top of the case that just points down. Good luck.

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i agree that should be the vent making it do that, buddy of mine had one do that after mudding, turned out it was plugged up, cleaned it out worked like new

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    a buddy of mine had the same probelm. make sure you dont have to much fluid in it, mmay even have to wrong dipstick for it. if those are correct sounds like a clog. the vents should be on the top of the tranny. be careful cleaning them out.

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    should be a th350 or th400 on either one the vent is located at the top of the trans pointing to the passenger side should just be a small tube with a 90degree angle on it... if you dont find it by tomorrow i will take a pic and post for you...

8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    forgot to mention dont dlow into the hole to clean it!!! small amounts of dirt will destroy an automatic trans so you dont want to blow all that trash inside.... you can remove the tube clean and re install.. the vent is right were the bell starts on the passenger side... here is a pic

9. sambo

sambo New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks guys for all the input . have been busy working on another project and havent had time to fix the suburban , but all the advice is very helpful

10. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    next time you go to your local boat landing make sure no ones looking
    put it in neutral make sure the water is pretty deep and drown it
    kiss the problem goodbye and get a ford

11. sambo

sambo New Member

State:
    alabama
    rather push a chevy than drive a ford

12. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Not to get into a chevy vs ford or anything like that , have a yukon and a bravada both gm products both with transmission problems. When it comes to engines chevy gets the nod but not in transmissions. PS I have had to push more gmc products than fords.

13. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Buy em with a standard transmission, all you have then is a clutch to change every 70,000 - 100'000 miles. Lot less headaches.

14. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    best thing for trans troubles is maintenence, the owners manual says you can drive 100,000 miles without service now but remember their warranty is only 36,000 miles ,the factory doesnt care after that, service them every 30k or 15k if you pull a trailer and you wont have near as many problems with any of the, mine had 186,000 miles on , fluid flushed and changed every 30k and it works like new :wink:

15. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    keep pushing and keep a chain in your chevy because most
    ford owners dont have one cuz they dont need it if i wanted to
    learn mechanic work id buy a chevy