Transmission Problem, '94 olds Achieva

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by dinkbuster1, Nov 8, 2008.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    inherited my grandmothers '94 olds Achieva, just now got it tagged and on the road. the Tranny has a slight problem though.... when downshifting it makes a hard "Thud" right around 15-12 mph sometimes. also tends to jump out of gear every so ofter when comming to a full Stop after doing a lot of slow "Stop and Go" driving. one last thing it does that i noticed today is when hitting the pedal hard when passing on the highway it makes that initial "Thud" as well. guy at Autozone said it was a "sticking Solenoid" and recomended Seafoams "tranny tune". we dumped it in and drove around for an hour today and it didnt seem to do much good. my questions are, "what is the problem"?, "how much to fix"?, "is it worth fixing"?. even though its older its a super nice car, typical "grandma car". gonna give it a couple days and maybe get an opinion from a tranny shop.

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    there is a tourge Solenoid switch that could be sticking it plugs into the tranny , just unplug it and try that if it works dont plug it back up it wont hurt nothing i had the same problem in a gm car and a mechanic told me to do this and it worked great still driving it and aint had the problem since i unplugged it .

3. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    it sounds like your convertor solonoid is sticking, unplugging it will let you know if its the problem, leaving it unplugged wont hurt the trans, but will cost you gas mileage, to fix it you have to replace the solonoid and the 3rd gear switch, just have to pull the side cover on the trans, not a bad jab, figure a couple 3 hrs and prolly $75-$100 parts

4. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    Rule#1 Never take advice from anyone that wants to sell you snake oil!LOL
    It's next to impossible to give you an accurate answer via the www. But I would take a look at the transmission and engine mounts. They can cause the same symptoms as you described. If they are blown out replace them and have the trans fluid flushed with a quality fluid.
    Good luck and keep us posted!

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thaks guys, now all i have to do is find the darn thing, its super cramped under that hood! my haynes manual doesnt show a pic of it, nor could i find any type of pics or schematics online.

6. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    the connector is on the front side of the trans, toward the radiator on the drivers side, it should be blue in color 3 or 4 wires, hope this helps