Transferring boat title

Discussion in 'Boating' started by BigCatDreaming, Feb 9, 2007.

1. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just paid off the rest of the money on my boat and got a folder full of papers that I have no idea what to do with. It came with new stickers that have yet to be put on, but the real problem is i dont know how to transfer the title into my name. if anyone has gone through this process please fill me in on everything I need to do. I'd really appreciate it. I'm clueless about this stuff.

2. BigCatDreaming

State:
    Illinois
    Oh and how much it might cost, please!

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Its different state by state but I know you'll have to have a bill of sale relinquishing ownership to you. It may or may not have to be notorized.

4. BigCatDreaming

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah they typed up two different copies and we signed them, but i'm still really curious if anyone from illinois knows if i have to do anything else

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Call a car dealer or boat dealer in your area. They should know exactly what to do. In Ohio the title is already in your name and the bank has a lien notation, or stamp on it which they sign after it's paid for, and you have released at a title office, no charge. Sorry, but I don't have Illinois title info. Someone here will chime in, just keeping it bumped. Good Luck,
    Shawn

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    In Indiana we go to the liesen (sp) branch and it is just like cars.
    Bill

7. jmon

jmon New Member

State:
    il
    go to il dnr website it will tell you everything

8. BigCatDreaming

State:
    Illinois
    I checked the illinois dnr website but i didnt find anything on transferring a boat title from its previous owner. Only how to apply for one