transducer??

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by wannafish, Oct 21, 2007.

1. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just put a new fish finder on my 75 stryker which has never had a fish finder on it before.I put the transducer on 15" right of prop area , the unit functioned great except once I got under way it was throwing a spray of water straight up and onto my engine about 3 foot above the boat (at about 40 mph) I tried to look back there while under way and couldn't see anything any ideas?I can move it to the right outside corner of the hull , I have no way to mount it inside as I would have to split the whole top off to get to the bottom of it.Thanks

2. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    does anyone have pics of the back of their boat which is stepped so I can see how 1 is mounted?Thanks

3. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Roy, I have had ALOT of experience getting transducers doing right on my boats! I have experienced all the problems you can think of! What brand depth finder do you have? The Lowrance transducers seem to be better at NOT throwing rooster tails than the Humminbird transducers. I currently have Humminbird depth finders on both my boats, but have installed a couple Lowrance units for friends and have had to "tweek" there transducers some. There for a few trips I had to always come home and raise or lower my transducer trying to find the "sweet spot"!:wink:Let us know some details please......................Maybe we can get it figured out!

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe you will find your transducer is too low, allowing water to flow over the top and at speeds, it forms a rooster tail. Mine did this for quite a while, and I must truthfully admit I liked to see the rooster tail... made me look like I was flat out getting it. But, so I could read the bottom while under speed, I lowered the transducer so 1/2 of the body was even with the bottom of the boat. Now, sad to say, there is no rooster tail, but I do get readings while underway.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Mine is mounted like AwShuks said and works fine. Let us know what happens.

6. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I can't lower it as the plastic mount is only 1/4" from bottom of boat , so guess I will have to raise it.It is from a hummingbird 525 .I would think the rooster tail is cool too except it throws it on the electric plug in for my engine lol.I was hoping to keep it low so can get readings from it like I did the skeeter at 70 mph lol.How high should I go?I hate to keep moving it and drilling more holes.....thanks all.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
  8. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I appreciate that , looks to be exactly where I mounted mine but on other side.Since it was raining out I got sent home from work and in my boredom decided to call hummingbird and they said raise it 1/2" , now if the rain will quit I will move it up and only have to redrill 1 hole .appreciate it all.

9. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I moved it up 1/2" and big difference , still tosses a little water up once in awhile but not on the motor and get halfway decent readings at full speed...Thanks all.