Transducer wire

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Big Vic, Jan 25, 2009.

  1. Big Vic

    Big Vic New Member

    Messages:
    664
    State:
    Nebraska
    I am thinking about buying a used Humminbird. The guy told me he cut the trans. wire to make it longer for his boat. Can these be spliced back together successfully ? I always thought that you should never cut and or splice the trans wireing.:crazy: Any help would be great
     
  2. seahaggy

    seahaggy New Member

    Messages:
    219
    State:
    kentucky
    I did cut mine shorter years ago with no problem.Use black electrical tape and tape each wire seperate.Then tape them together.
     

  3. Stubby

    Stubby New Member

    Messages:
    208
    State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Vic you're gonna get several answers to this question. all of them NO you can't cut them. I've cut and spliced every one i've owned and even put an A-B switch in most of them so I could switch fron a front transducer to a rear transducer. But like I said the answer is No. Unless you want to. There is a benifit to being stupid- you can get away with a lot of things that can't be done.
     
  4. Big Vic

    Big Vic New Member

    Messages:
    664
    State:
    Nebraska
    If thats the case Stubby I been gettin away with a whole lot of stuff,that I didn't even know about !! :smile2::smile2: Thanks for all the help
     
  5. blackwaterkatz

    blackwaterkatz Active Member

    Messages:
    3,659
    State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've had to spice at least one transducer cable, as well as a gps cable, with no problems. I soldered and taped each wire separately, wrapped the joint with aluminum foil as shielding, and sealed with liquid tape. Probably not recommended by the experts, but it can be done. However, a replacement transducer is not terribly expensive for most units. :smile2:
     
  6. Arkansascatman777

    Arkansascatman777 New Member

    Messages:
    7,782
    State:
    AR
    I don't like to but YES it can be done with NO ILL effects. I just recently bought a new transducer and tried to pull it through using the old wire, just couldn't get it pulled through with the connection attached on the wareagle, just wasn't enough room. Ended up cutting the new one and had room to pull just the wire through, then tied each individual wire back together with connectors and taped each one before starting on the next. It works like a champ.