Transducer Question

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Clovis, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    Are transducers interchangable between brands? within brands?

I was thinking of getting a new depthfinder as the screen on mine is so scratched up you cant hardly read it unless it is night, and the backlight is on.

Was wondering if I would have to replace the transducer too? interconnecting wires?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I don't think transducers are interchangable between brands, at least not in general - you might get lucky and it would work, and I'm sure someone will post here telling that they've done it. But I wouldn't count on it.

Even within the same brand, if your transducer is from an older model (more than maybe 3 or 4 years old) I wouldn't bet it is usable with a newer sonar unit. If it uses the same style connector to the sonar, then you're probably in good shape. But they seem to change connector styles with every new model.

The price difference between a sonar with and without transducer is maybe $50 or so - not worth the trouble and you'd really rather have a new transducer, made to work with the sonar model you buy.

3. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    What I was really worried about is the interconnecting wiring though.

How much trouble is that gonna cause me?

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Not sure what you're asking.

Other than the transducer connection, the only other wiring you need is the 12V and ground for power.

The transducer is a single assembly with cable and all - you'll have to run the new cable in place of the old one.

The sonar unit will come with a pigtail of some sort - connect the red and black wires on the pig tail to your +12V and ground wires and you're all set. (well, except that you should install a fuse on the +12V side.

If that doesn't help, ask your question again and maybe I'll get it...

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The only way they are compatible is between the same manufactor and model.

6. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    What I was worried about was getting the wire from the transducer to the depthfinder, but I guess I'll just have to figure out how to get it there.

Thanks,
    Steve

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Record your make / model. Go on the internet to that company's site. Put in the model number and it should allow you to pick the transducer's and how much they cost to replace. I don't think you can just get the wire...it is an all or nothing thing. Generally run about $50.00. But, the insturment won't work without it so what is it worth?

8. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    The one on the boat works fine.

I am thinking of replacing the depthfinder with a new one, and the only thing that bothers me is how hard is it going to be to fish the new wire through the boat.

Thanks,
    Steve

9. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    Tie then tape some heavy line(50# or so) to the transducer connection to the unit, then pulling gently a section at a time toward the transducer location, then do the reverse with the new one using the heavy line. Depends on the boat and 'if' there are ties on the old coax how much trouble it can be. good luck--shu

10. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Have you thought about polishing the glass or plastic screen. That is if the finder works!

Craig

11. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    it work, just not a very good depth finder.

I'm gonna do just that and use it till I get a new one.

Thanks,
    Steve

Any ideas on how to polish it?

12. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Autoparts store has polish. I used it on plastic headlamp covers. Dont use a power tool, just a little elbow grease.

Craig

13. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    we put a new fishfinder and transducer on our boat early this year. A substantial portion of the cabling for the old transducer ran through a portion of the boat that would have been pretty difficult to run a cable through by hand.

Once we were certain that we had Identified the cable for the OLD transducer (several cables run through this area)... we cut the OLD transducer cable at the rear of the boat. We then took the connection end of the NEW transducer cable, laid about a 12" portion of it next to the cut off end of the OLD cable and used a lot of black electrical tape and taped them together VERY tightly.
    We then pulled the new cable through using the old cable. Pretty easy actually. There were a few times that we had to work it back and forth a bit to make it through some of the "tight" areas, but with a little patience it was a piece of cake.

cyas
    rc

14. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    sometimes you can use a chaser wire if its tied where you can't get to the ties. every boat seems to be different. if your unit is old its hard to get and old transducer that fits. hope this helps.

15. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    With the recent purchase of my first fishing boat I ran out and purchased a new Humminbird Fishfinder 525 at the local WalMart. I've been unsucessful in make the thing read the depth properly. I'm currently out of town away from the boat, but when I return I'll check the installation location of my transducer to make sure it's on the money. Sometimes it'll bounce around from 2 feet to 17.5 feet. So, I'll anchor thinking it's somewhere in the 17 foot depth. I'll set for an extended period of time and then all of the sudden it shows 2.5 feet for 2 hours. It's nuts. I'm pretty frustrated with it. So, if anyone has any ideas please pass them along. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

16. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The transducer setting alone shouldn't cause the readings to vary that much at anchor. If you still have the receipt I would suggest you return it for a refund or exchange after verifying that the unit is installed correctly. I'm not a big fan of humminbird, but I haven't owned one is quite a few years. All I ever had quit working within a year or so. Since I switched to eagle and lowrance products several years back, I haven't had a single problem - yet. This is only my opinion. Some folks really like the humminbird stuff.