transducer problem

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by viperdragon6662003, Feb 24, 2009.

  1. viperdragon6662003

    viperdragon6662003 New Member

    Messages:
    53
    State:
    IL
    I was wondering i found out why my finder does not work i have a broken cable is there anyway i can fix this. as in solder it back together or do i have to get a new transducer with wire already on it. thanks for any feed back and hope i put this in the right spot.
     
  2. Grimpuppy

    Grimpuppy New Member

    Messages:
    3,556
    State:
    Concordia, KS
    Although the factories don't recommend it, I have heard of several people splicing transducer cable with success. Give it a try, you are not out anything if it doesn't work.
     

  3. mmarcum6

    mmarcum6 New Member

    Messages:
    599
    State:
    Tenneessee
    It will most likely depend on where the break is located. I will assume it is between the transom and the transducer. The most important thing will be to get everything dry and clean. Solder and seal each connection with shrink tubing and then seal the whole connection section with a larger piece of shrink tubing. After everything is sealed with the tubing coat the entire area with RTV silicone in any color you choose. Make sure it has at least 24 hours to cure at room temp (approx. 70 deg) it will cure at lower temps, but will require longer times. This may or may not work, and I have used it to splice underwater power cables in the past, but they are only supply cables and not susceptable to electronic noise. Give it a try and then post so we will all know the results.
     
  4. viperdragon6662003

    viperdragon6662003 New Member

    Messages:
    53
    State:
    IL
    thanks for the info but i probly wont get to it till i can try it out on the river cause i dont have any water to test it in now but i will let everyone know what i did and if it worked or not