Transducer Mount/ stump protector

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by malaki, May 4, 2006.

1. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    i was trying to come up with a way to mount my transduser to the boat without drilling holes below the water line and keep it from gettig hit by stumps and the boat being draged on shore. after a few months of thinking and working on it here and there as ideas and time come up this is waht i came up with. i used 1"x1 1/2" aluminum thick wall square tubing with 2 pieces of scrap too make a hinge and the retaining clips off of a tv antena turned backwards as a clip to hold it in place ans give if i hit someting. it holds the transducer about an 1 1/2" below the botom of the boat and totaly protects it from damage. it may seem like over kill but it beats buying a new transducer and i only have about 80 cents in screws invested. i am playing around with a throtle return spring to hold it up out of the way after its tripped.

Attached Files:

2. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    That seems like a good idea but not sure it is needed. I have had no trouble so far with my transducer, it tips up when I come into contact with something. But, I will keep this in mind if I start having transducer trouble

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That looks like a "Skimmer" transducer for an Eagle/Lowrance. It is designed to kick up if it hits something. I've had mine do it numerous times. That looks like a fine bracket you made for it though!!!

4. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    like i said, its overkill. it started as a way to keep from drilling holes below the waterline, but i like to overcomplicat things.lol:confused2: i plan on geting a bigger boat and i dont want to have a bunch of holes in this one to patch up. and yes its an eagle!

5. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I broke my second one two weeks ago. Have you looked at the shoot through aluminum transducer?

6. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Nice little bit of engineering there :0a24:

Bet the little bit of setback doesn't hurt the image quality either.

7. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    You will need to trim off the piece of aluminum that is hanging down in front of the transducer or it will interfere with the readings when moving.

8. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    thans for the tip grumpy! all i have to do is slide it down a little bit.

9. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    not sure what kind of boat you may own, but another option is flush mounting. the major draw back is cutting your boat, but very effecient.

10. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    how makes that?

11. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Jerry check with the manufacture of the fish finder, they may have them to fit your unit.

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Mine is mounted on a 1" thick piece of plastic. That way theres only 2 screws holding it on. And there along the top of the boat. I can move and run screws in it and not harm the boat.
    Also wait until your transducer cost $250. Then you start thinking about it.

I can try to take a picture of it later.

Pete