Transducer help!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Alsey, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey everyone,
    I mounted a Hummingbird 525 transducer to my 14' aluminum jon boat a few weeks ago. I run in shallow water and fish from the bank alot which requires me to pull the boat up onto the river bank.
    The bottom line is my transducer got knocked off today and I had a big problem with cavitation before anyways.

A friend told me I could epoxy a peice of 6 inch PVC pipe to the floor of my boat and fill it with water and then set the transducer in the bottom of it and it could shoot through the aluminum with very little signal loss.

Any of you ever tried this? Everything I've read says don't shoot it through aluminum but my friend assures me it'll work and he's installed a couple this way.

Do any of yall have any experience with this?
    Thanks,
    Jim
    Louisiana

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have heard the same thing. And if I can remember where its at. Theres even a post from a guy at Humminbird stating that it will shoot through the hull. but not as good as glass.
    Also can't be any air there.
    So All that I would say is try it and you will need to weight it down to make it work.
    Pete

3. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I started a post last week about breaking off transducer mounts on a humminbird transducer, i have heard about putting the transducer in water in the boat but that is going to turn into a mess after a while.
    I have talked to several people that have good success with the vexilar alumaducer, that is what I am putting on next week.

4. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
  5. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You wouldnt use water, you would use something like mineral oil. I would think water would be too thin and contain too many air bubbles while moving.