Transducer help on 3 degree SeaArk????

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by SkipEye, Feb 19, 2008.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I need opinions on transducer placement on a 3 degree hulled SeaArk.

I currently cannot get high speed operation over 12 mph before the 2d sonar display breaks up and I start getting unreliable bottom readings shortly after that.

It was suggested to me on a Humminbird Side imaging forum that the hull design traps air at the bow and that air cannot escape due to the ribs on the bottom of the hull (you'll see the pics of my hull/installation).

Currently I have the puck installed barely peaking under the transom. The suggestion I received for myhull design was to drastically lower the puck to get below the turbelence from this trapped air.

I am greatly concerned about it protruding that far into the water. Although it does have a kick-up mount I am still afraid i'll whack it with a stick or chunk of ice and be out $200.00.

Any suggestions after looking at my pic?

Any experience based on satisfactory transducer mounting on your 3 degree hull? (I expect the 15 degree hull would be drastically different in how the air/water mixes)

[​IMG]

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i have the same problem on my lowe and i was getting a lot of clutter on the screen if i was moving much over an idle... the only thing that made it better was setting it even lower in the water!! i know how you feel i am nervous when i am in any kind of debris at all ..

3. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I got a Lowrance unit, but I will let you know how mine does if I get to run it on Saturday. I mounted the transducer according the Cuz's expertise, so hopefully it will work for me.:wink:

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Let me know Gary as your hull is the same as mine. And I know that Cuz probably told you to mount it barely peeking under the transom, which is standard, and also where mine is.

That SI puck is HUGE though and it was also stated that I would probably need to fab a splash shield after lowering it to contain the inevitable (embarrassing) GIGANTIC roostertail!:crazy:

5. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Skipeye is that side image transducer? I've always mounted the transducers over to the left one space between the two ribs. or as right over the top of your bunk board. thr only time i mounted one that far to the center of the boat I got all kinds of air off of the center rib. from this point of view it does'nt look big enough for a SI.

6. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    OK so it is the SI transducer. You posted while I was typing

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Jamison's still having the same problem with his Lund. Got to be in the design/shape of the transducer.

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Yep. I mounted it barely peeking under the transom. I had the humminbird quadrabeam puck on my last boat, and it was huge also compared to the Lowrances. I love the way Cuz's unit works, even though his is the Lowrance too, he still gets sonar readings in the mid 40's, but then again he is throwing a rooster tail off his transducer too.:crazy:

9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Not sure about that Doug. Lots of those Ba$$ guys on that forum with slick fiberglass hulls are getting some impressive high-speed ops. The Humminbird folks seemed to think Aluminum hulls are a bit trickier to find the sweet spot.

The theory about the air entering at the bow and being trapped all the way to the transom in between those ribs sounds plausible. I'll try lowering it drastically.

Was mostly hoping to hear a success story (regardless of brand) of a flat bottom Aluminum hull mount.

Thanks to all so far, getting frustrated with this. Been just living with it but getting tired of that and hoping for a solution.

10. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Why would you want the unit to work when running 40 mph? If it is to determine depth, the best unit for that is a flasher.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Some of those guys are using 2 transducers and a switch, going to a more standard or thru-hull transducer for 2D at speed. A new option is a Y cable that allows you to use the big SI transducer for side image only, and a secondary transducer for 2-D bottom stuff.

The Y-Cable is a new product they don't have listed on Hummingbird.com yet, but BassPro sells it for $25 (Hummingbird part AS-SIDB-Y), and the second transom mount transducer runs about $60 (part XNT-9-20)

I've got no direct personal experience with these, but it's what I plan to try on my boat this spring based on input from the Side Imaging group.

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I don't know the answer, but I fish shallow water and crunched one last year, luckily only $67.00 for mine. Anyhow, TSpergin told Rollo of an portable mount that attaches to the transom and you can manually adjust the depth. I would like a little more info but it sounds as if it might work for both yors and my applications.

Good Luck,

Shawn(OH)

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
  14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Oh I don't know. Seems to me I ought to be able to see fish and structure while I'm at it. A flasher still needs a transducer too and if the hull design makes it tricky for high-speed ops I suspect I'd have the same issue with a flashers transducer too, with the exception that it might be a bit smaller. I have an old-style flasher mode I can pull up now, doesn't excite me much. Might as well have something useful with all the info that modern technology can give me.

To GaryF: Yes, I've heard about the y-cables and that may be something to check in to. Still concerned about the comments made on the SI board about my hull design, may have the same issues with a 2d transducer, thru-hull or standard.

Hope I can find a suitable solution. Can't always idle around when scouting out possible fishing holes.

15. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew

Leave it where it is, you won't be able to place it in a different location and get better results on your boat. Who says that a rooster tail caused by the transducer is embarrassing? Just show them the big cats you catch with the SI. Anyways, if you need instant depth at over 12 mph its probally already to late anyhow. :wink:

16. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    With SI you should be.:roll_eyes:

17. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

LMAO!!!!! Guess thats true cause the SI is a slow-only operation, I just meant it would be nice to be cruising the river and see that spot you never knew about or find something interesting in a location you might not have thought to SLOW DOWN and check.

Can you elaborate on why you think I'll not find a better location or be able to improve my high-speed ops?

What do you think about another posters comments (different forum) about the hull design trapping air from the bow and channeling it to the transom.

Sounds at least plausible to me and maybe worth jamming the transducer further into the water to attempt to get below the turbulent mixture.

18. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    Not to get off the subject, but I would suggest SLOWING DOWN and taking the time to scout all of the area in which you fish with this unit.

Because I have tried and failed to find a soultion to this problem and I believe these hulls just are not designed for HSP ops with state of the art electronics. I'd rather not drill any more holes in my boat than I already have. :roll_eyes:

I think when HB designed the transducer for these units they didn't place a 3 degree SeaArk and a Nitro side by side and design it to be fully functional with both. They went with the one whose customers where more willing to buy the unit, if ya catch my drift. If you want to keep adjusting and lowering your transducer then have at it. Experimenting is a good thing when it comes to fishing. But, you might want to order TWO replacement transducers next time. Considering the size of ice chunks I saw on the river today. :wink:

19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    They do kind of float down toward St Louis from here, lol.

Andrew, do you use anything for seeing depth at high speed? That's all I'm worried about. Just something to let me know I've been stupid and hit shallow water at 30mph.

20. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew

Trial & error and a $100 full coverage deductible. Also the luxury of having a fishing buddy that I have fished the river with 99.99% of the time for over 10 years. Things and areas I seem to forget he remembers and vice versa. I pretty much know the whole kansas river up to 435 and the Mo river from parkville to napoleon like the back of my hand. But again thats after years and 1000's of hours on the water on the KC area rivers. Best advice is take it slow and spend a lot of time out there "lookin" around.