Transducer/ GPS Ant. Mounting Question???

Discussion in 'Boating' started by BoxxerBoyDrew, Apr 1, 2008.

1. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Hey Everybody,

I am finishing up the rebuild of my 85 Bass Tracker, and I am installing a NEW Fish Finder/GPS. I know you are supposed to run the transducer cable AWAY for the POWER cables the best you can, but there is only 1 pre-built wire conduit running to the back of the boat! I have actually moved the main power wires for the Fuse Block OUT of that Conduit, so the only "POWER" wires running threw there will be the Ignition wires( Starting/Run ). Basically just the Key switch wires.

SO do Yall think I should be OK there, or should I run them across to the other side, and drill my own holes to wrought the cable threw???? :confused2: The only place to run the cable threw will STILL have the cable running about 1' away from the Starting battery, as the whole back end of the boat was filled with Flotation Foam from the factory! So I can't run it anywhere other than threw the Bilge Area on the opposite side from the Starting/Accessory Battery.

Thanks in advance for ANY HELP YALL CAN PROVIDE!!! Also the previous owner had just ran the transducer cable threw the factory opening, and it seemed to work fine, but it was the ORIGINAL FISH FINDER from 85'!! So there is NOT much detail from it anyway!! :eek:oooh: SO I am unsure of where the best place to run it!

Also I am having to mount the GPS Puck Antenna too, and I was thinking of just mounting it on the console, but when I would be driving the boat I would be really close to it, and I think blocking the signals from behind the Ant. Does that make any sense??? So should I mount it on a raised base, as it has a mount to mount it on a pole with a 1/2" NPT. So I was thinking just mounting it to a piece of Galv. pipe or PVC just tall enough to get it barley over the windshield (14"). OR are the signals it is reading pretty much STRAIGHT UP AND DOWN??

THANKS AGAIN!!!,
    Andy

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    run the transducer thru the conduit. I never had any issues doing this.
    the puck is good on the console, in most cases. U can relocate it to the back right corner of the boat and run ur line to the head unit.

3. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    have run all my wires threw the conduit and never had any problems. just make sure that everything is grounded to the motor & the battery. you will not have any trouble that way.

catman fl

4. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    THANKYOU for the HELP GUYS!!!! Like I sadi the old cable was run threw the conduit and it had no problems, but it was a very LOW end unit! So I will try that, and see if it will be OK. If not I can always move it if need be! I will try the puck on the console too. I figured the singals were pretty much on a vertical plane to the ant. but I just don't want to have to try to fill holes in the console if I have to move it! The Console will eventually be Glassed, bondoed and Marine painted, but we are going to take it out first to make sure everything is working ok first!

Again THANKYOU for the help!
    Andy:wink:

GMC: I saw were You and another Member went out on Waco Lake and had some sucess!!!! GREAT DEAL!!!! We are going to Camp Allen next weekend for a family get together, and hopefully the lake there wil have some fish in it! It dosen't allow Gas Boats, so we are suposed to be able to rent some kind of boats there! We got geared up today at Academy, so hopefully we wil be able to catch something! Who Knows???? I THINK it is about a hour south of Bryan twards Houston. I will give a report when we return and let everyone know how it was! Take Care everyone!!