Tranny trouble 6 speed manual

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Creteus, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I just put the massive thing back in about a month ago when the pressure plate broke. Now a month later I've got a vibration similar to running over the wake up bumps along the side of the highway. It only does it when I'm coasting and try to put it into a lower gear with the clutch depressed. Does it real bad when you try and put it into a gear too low whith the clutch pressed in. Soon as you let the clutch out it stops. I'm thinking the front shaft bearing. Any input would be great

2. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    four things I would check first
    1. are u joints timed right?
    2. is rear u joint seated properly
    3. check alignment on support bearing and driveline
    4. ya didnt happen to allow trwns to "sit" in the disc and not supported by bellhousing did ya? if so you may have bent center of disc.

3. schuetz

schuetz New Member

State:
    kansas
    sounds like the carrier bearing to me

4. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Driveshaft is fine all u joints are new as is the midshaft bearing. Can not line anything wrong because each shaft has a double channel. Whatever it is is inside the tranny. Something pops in the tranny when you let off the gas and get on it. Nothing loud just a clank. rearens got play but I know the sound of that. This is a new clank and the vibration started 2 or 3k miles after installing the clutch

5. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    what gear is it doing it in? sounds like u have a bent shift fork or sycronizer sleeve ate up inside.

6. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Dosen't do it in any gear. Only while trying to force it into a lower gear. As the tranny speeds up to line up the gears it starts vibrating like the front shaft is wobbling. You know like the sound your tires make at 50 and you run over the wake up bumps along the side of the highway. When you have it locked in gear theres a popping noise when you let off the gas then push it back in. Its more like a loud click.

7. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    starting to sound more like the syncro sleeve in one of the drive assemblies is chewed up to were it wont lock into gear.

8. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    It goes in gear easily. Any gear. I do ride it hard so its probably just wore out. Its got 147K on it, the fluids never been changed and I have 4 bald back tires from utilizing the upgrades that I've put under the hood:cool2:. I can't really complain. I used it for work for the first two years of its life pulling a 13k trailer everyday off road on job sites. After that I put in an edge computer, X-wheel compressor, stage 2 cold air intake and 4 inch exhaust. It'll light up all 4 in the back. Course the ending result being a wobbly tranny and a 3/4 inch play at the yoke. Thanks for your help on the matter. Guess I'm going to pull it back out and open up its brain pan and start rebuilding. God I hate that tranny. Its bigger than a 400 turbo automatic. Can't believe that the syncronizing disks are 500 buck alone and the bearing and seal set is 580 bucks.

9. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    yeah those are the joys of a 6spd. good luck on the rebuild

10. fordman49450

fordman49450 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    the ZF6 transmissions were known for the input shaft problems, there is a fix out there for it with a better bearing and shaft

11. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Which one would that be. I figure the front shaft bearing was bad, but if the front shaft was wobbling you'd think the front seal would be gone. I'm not losing any fluid out the front and its full.

12. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    ZF trannys are good ones, but they are hard to fix! You got to split 'em open to even change an input shaft. Best thing I would do is double check that you got the trans. pulled in all the way and it is not gapped at the top of the bellhousing, pull it out, make sure the clutch and all looks good and have it built or swap for a reman. I build transmissions and I don't mess with these. T-5's are a whole lot easier. Besides I didn't want to mess with buying all the tools needed to build ZF's. good luck!