Training to be a Cat Fisherman

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by river1214rat, Oct 12, 2007.

1. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Friday
    I went out today from 3:00pm to 6:00 pm knowing that I probably would not catch anything. Windy and the Ohio was choppy. Went down Salt to get my allotted Shad, was by myself (my first solo) and just went to different areas to see how deep the water was, how the current affected me, and MAYBE by chance hang into "The Fish". No fish, but I really learned alot, mainly I can handle the boat without anyone with me. I want to learn this wonderful river, know shallow parts and where the holes are. Will take a long time, don't care.
    :wink:

Linda

BE SAFE

2. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    linda your in the rite area for a big fish but you have to go down river to find the deeper water have you tried drift fishin for the big blues ?

3. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Yes I have. Caught a 17 lb Blue last week. As of now, that is my PB. I really want one bigger; got it in my blood!!
    :0a22:

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Linda, Patients and tenasity will pay off. Congratulations on that 17lber, there are bigger ones out there with your name on them.

5. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Congrats on the nice blue linda keep it up!:wink:

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Linda, good for you. All of the best rivermen/women learned from doing more than from others. You just have to get out there and do it. Eventually you will be able to look at a bank and tell what kind of depth, bottom, structure, current breaks and things of this nature to expect. Keep up the good work. That 17 pounder will be a memory when you find the big ones. Vern

7. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    keep it up linda ... ull break that personal best ... heck i caught mine on a crappie jig at the lake of the ozarks ... wasnt even fishing for cats at the time... im looking for a new pb now .

8. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Linda with the river being down so much it is a very good time just to ride up and down just to scout you know look at the banks and structure that would normally be under some water those current breaks that big fish will be at when the river is up.I make a mental map and use landmarks to know where to try lator on.

9. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
  10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Linda, if you TRULY want to know how to catch Big Blues, I have the way to do it.

Ask Pink TuTu and Twinkie man how THEY catch the Big Blues, then go do the EXACT opposite. You'll have a big one in no time. :big_smile::wink:

On a serious note, congratulations on your new Personal Best. You'll have that beat in no time. Nice Work.

11. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    yup thats gonna be me take the boat out and look for holes and "cover" from newburgh damn on down past evansville ~ got a lifetime to learn the river starting today..:p

12. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Roger, Welcome to the BOC, great bunch of folks with so much knowledge. Right now I am learning how to use a depth and fish finder. I like the depth part more, I like to fish by surprise. Anyway, good luck from KY and send us pictures of you catches.
    Linda

BE SAFE