Training of the flushing breeds

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by Bobpaul, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I'd be interested in hearing about experiences and tips on the training of Labs or Springer Spaniels for duck retrieving or flushing birds in the field.

I've done some training, using trapped pigeons. The pigeon trapping is an experience in itself.

2. jblahuta

jblahuta New Member

State:
    texas
    i am in the process of trying to train my new pup for duck hunting. she is a half yellow lab and half golden retriever. she is going on 5 months and doing pretty good up to this point, at least according to the schedule for "Water Dog". Getting ready to PCS to Idaho and trying to get her ready. as far as trapping pigeons, how do you go about doing that, i know how to shoot them, lol. duck hunting was so bad here this year thanks to the high temps that i do not have any duck wings in the freezer. we thought that the hunting would get better and have plenty of time to freeze some and then the hunting only got way worse as it kept getting hotter here. has anyone tried the duck scent in a bottle, if so does it work. i have some but have not got to the point of using it yet. any advice would be greatly appreciated on this. sorry for rambling on and on.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I raised ducks,geese,and bantam chickens at the time I was training a Lab and ME to retrieve.The Bantams can be kept and even raised in small pens if you get the smaller type.Clip one wing,and tie thier feet together when needed.Do not tie tight around thier legs,as it will cut off the blood supply.First teach your dog to retrieve with a soft mouth,and the Bantams will not be hurt.You can use them over and over.The downside is.You and the family can get attached to the bantams,like the dog.peewee

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The best place to trap pigeons is where people feed them. You'll usually have quantity and they're used to people.

Build a trap with 1/2" hardware clothe, 4' square by 1' high, or as square as what hardware clothe you have. Cut out a door about 18" wide in the middle of one side. Hinge it to the trap and spring load it to close. A carb spring from the auto parts store will work.

Rig it to stay open and a lond trip line for when you think you've baited in enough pigeons.

Bait with cracked corn. A light sprinkling around the outside near the opening and more heavily into and in the trap.

Once your in your training area and are ready to use the pigeons, take out no more than 2 at a time, leaving your dogs in their kennels or with someone else at the site.

When you get to a spot that you want to place a pigeon, grasp the bird across the back, holding both wings down, and quickly twirl your wrist, causing the birds head to spin, making it dizzy. About 10 good spins should do it. Put the bird down in the field and go several yards away and place another pigeon.

Now go get your dog and get ready to shoot. The pigeons won't fly once their heads clear, but will when flushed.

It's a hoot to get them ready for bird season or after season shooting.

I've met some strange people in urban area's while pigeon trapping, and used several different excuses to most of them, other than saying, "I'm gonna shoot them". I was nearly rousted by the local police one morning until I told them the truth. They liked the idea and wanted to join me later in the day.

You must keep your trap out of high traffic areas. People will trip over them. That's when you deny all knowledge of the trap and go build a new one.:p

5. jblahuta

jblahuta New Member

State:
    texas
    how about duck wings. does anyone know where i can buy duck wings for training.

6. jblahuta

jblahuta New Member

State:
    texas
    sorry about that, thanks for the help on the whole pigeon idea

7. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    Jblahuta, you might get duck wings from Cabelas. I know they sell pheasant wings, dehytrated & shrink wrapped.

BobPaul, your pidgeon story reminds me of my niece & husband who live 100 yards or so from a hugh set of grain elevators in Illinois. About 10 houses in that little town. Hunters learned to gather near there each fall cause doves gather to pick up spilled corn 7 beans. She got so tired of having her roof peppered with spent shot that she called the county sheriff to run them off.

My uncle always had a pointing lab for pheasant hunting when i was a kid. I hated to hunt with him cause he had the bird down before I had my gun on my shoulder.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Sorry Bobpaul I thought this was one of those femminist threads about training husbands and boyfriends to flush the toilet and pick-up the seat.:big_smile: :lol: :smile2:

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Although I do flush, I figure if I can pick up the seat, whoever wants it down can put it down.:eek:oooh:

10. curveball

curveball New Member

State:
    Saint Clairsville, Ohio
    Bobpaul, loved how you put the pigeons to sleep. Worked at pheasant farm helping dog trainer and learned to put pheasants asleep for the dogs. Hold pheasant in palm of hand, stomach of bird to hand, turn bird's head and put it under either wing. Take leg of bird and gently pull six or seven times. Bird will be asleep, plant bird and go get the dog. Bird will not flush until the dog gets there. I could not believe it until it was proven to me and then I took movie pictures of it. Have been called a liar many times over this but it does work.
    I spent 40 years in the preaching ministry for my Lord and what I tell you is the truth.

Joe

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Joe, you may have been called a liar by the ignorant few who haven't a clue what your doing or can't seem to get it right. Me, I like to spin them. Don't know if i could do it to a bird as big as a pheasant though.

12. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bob, Yep it works on pheasants too! Thats how we do it at a freinds preserve, the "spinning method" works great! I am going to try Joes way, just out of curiousity tho! I might be able to win a couple bets on that one!:lol: