Trailer wheels

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Fishgeek, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have 12" wheels on my trailer right now & many of the places I launch at seem to be just a little too shallow. It would be nice to lower the height of my trailer a bit...I really can't take the bunks & rollers any further down. Would there be any disadvantages to dropping to 10" wheels? I've seen trailers with bigger boats than mine (1448 jon boat) with smaller wheels.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    As long as you fish pretty close to home.
    I wouldn't hit the road on a trip with small wheels.

The smaller the tire the more it turns to go the same distance.
    The more it turns the more heat it generates in the bearings.

You could probally try a drop axle.

3. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Mark, I kinda thought that might be the case.

I'm not much of a mechanic...drop axle?

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
  5. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Cool! Thanks Mark!

6. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    or you could swap your axel and springs= if your axel is attatched to the bottom of the springs you can move the axel to the top side of the leaf springs and it will lower the entire trailer about 3" - 4"
    this can be done without buying any parts,, as long as your axel is STRAIT and dont have an arch mad into it

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Jeremy!

8. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    would not worry about smaller wheels. we run 8 in. rims on the dollies for the wreckers and run them hundreds of miles. also have a cycle trailer with the wide 10 in. wheels with no problems.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    How often do you submerge them in the water?

10. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i have pontoon with 20.5 x 8 x 10 that has 40k mi on it i use 10 ply tires never had a blow out i did have one to seperate it has double axles that keeps them from getting to hot you need to keep them properly aired but i can lounch any where and i have pulled at 80mph longest trip 1200mi one way to kansas for the classic

11. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    You can do it with an arch in the axle also but you would need to have the spring pin plates removed and welded on the other sides. In the exactly correct location to preserve the proper arch and centering.

12. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    water only hurts the bearings if seals are bad. if they are bad dont matter what size tire the bearings going to fail.

13. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    smaller tires means more spins just like Mark says. More revolutions on the hub means that it will gernerate more heat. The rapid cooling that hubs experience when they meet water is what causes seals to fail , well that and over greasing. The hotter the hub the better the chance that the seals will fail.