Trailer weight rating.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by bootshowl, Mar 5, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Being so new ya gots lots of questions. I have a single axle boat trailer with small 4 lug wheels hauling a small boat. The trailer is rated for 1000 lbs, but the tire rating is I think like 560lbs. I should go by the tire rating shouldn't I, then later if I get more boat, can up the tire size and increase the load rating according to the rating of the larger wheels. Is this correct?
    :wink:

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    the load rating of one tire is 560 pounds. the load rating of the boat is 1,000 pounds. spreading the load over 2 tires, i'd say it's just about right..

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I would be very careful about exceeding the trailers weight rating.Bigger tires will NOT prevent the axle from bending or the springs from bottoming out.The ratings are there for a purpose.As the sign says;" NO lifeguard on duty;swim at your own risk":big_smile:

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Lots of people exceed the weight of their trailers. You see them on the shoulder of the road all the time. Think Jim is right on the money with his comment. If you want to upgrade your trailer, it probably is the safer bet to buy a bigger one.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    The times 2 is my question. I'm looking at the tire rating & thinking I shouldn't put more than 560# on the trailer, even tho the trailer is rated for 1000#....Not very smart am I ? Going from a 480x8B to a 480x12B increases the tire weight rating by 200# and will bolt right up. I'm never gonna put more than a 1000# on the axle. Just wondered about the tires rating and also wouldn't the 12B wear less,, larger circumference less revolutions?

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    The real advantages to larger tires are lower temps at the tread and wheel bearings.

Eight inch tires, and 1&7/8" couplers/hitches are the work of the devil!

7. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    The combined weight of my boat, motor, and full fuel, and counting 50 lbs to gear puts me about 100lbs below my trailers weight capacity. I was wondering, if I wanted to walk around on my boat while it was trailered for whatever reason - inspection/cleaning/installing something, I weigh 250 lbs, would I be damaging my trailer in the process?

I guess I never figured my weight into the equation when the trailer was ordered.