trailer troubles

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by rasmotherman, Jun 23, 2009.

1. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    my tires are extremely cupped out. both wheels wobble badly. i am 80% sure the wobble comes from some bent rims but not sore what to do about the cupping. as of now i only haul it 2 miles to the lake but would like to get to flathead waters safely. will the cupping add wear on the bearings? after i fix the rims could it take a longer trip?

2. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    sounds like its time for new wheel bearings and a new set of rims and tires.

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I would replace the bearings ,rims and tires.You don't want to stuck on the side of the road or ahve to leave your boat there.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    When you replace your 8, 10, 12 or 14 inch tires, it generally is cheaper to purcase a tire/rim set from places like Tractor Supply or even Walmarts. After you replace them watch the new tires for their handling characteristics. If they still wobble, service or replace the bearings, still have a wobble, try replacing the axle. You can also get them at Tractor Supply stores.

5. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    what does an entire axle run?
    i think my boat is entirely too large for the one thats on it.

6. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
  7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Could be tires out of balance.

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I had the belts separate on my trailer tires two years ago. I noticed it when I looked in the rearview and could see the boat motor wobbling back and forth. When I bought new tires, the place said it was pretty common on campers and trailers that sit for extended periods of time. On mine you could look at the tread and it was like a curvy line instead of strait.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    2500 pound straight axle at Agri Supply for around 80 bucks.
    Springs 15 bucks each.

10. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Overloaded axle might account for cupped or uneven worn tires but wobble sounds like wheel bearings to me. They are probably the cheapest fix so would start there and see if it makes any difference and then check my tires for tread. I had a pontoon boat once that didn't have the proper axle and I continually had problems with it til I replaced it. Best of luck.

:cool2:

11. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Take some measurments on your axle and see if it is bent.