Trailer tires??

Discussion in 'Boating' started by DANZIG, Apr 8, 2009.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    'Bout that time, gonna need 14s to put under the Cuddy.

What do I need to know and who has 'em cheap?

2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I reckon ya need to know what size/weight rating, or take one of the old ones in to compare. If ya don't need much, check at a tire shop or dealer for used tires that still got tread.

I bought some in Omaha couple years ago for my trailer, I just needed to have tires thata would last 2000 miles or a couple days, I think it cost more to have em mounted than to buy em.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you have a TSC (tractor supply company) check them out.They are the best place and most reasonable that I have found.:cool2:

4. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Don't know about were the best price is in your area is, but just make sure you get tires that are made for trailers, even more important on a heaver trailer/boat

5. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    check out tirerack.com

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Wally World has some mounted on rims already. They also have them unmounted but depending on the shape of your rims & the cost of mounting, sometimes it's cheaper to go with the first option.

With regards to the quality & cost of the tires, cheap isn't always good. I used to be a die hard Goodyear fan but I think that their quality has decreased. I've been using Carlisle now with good success & the $$$ is substantially less. Another brand that I've seen used with success is Towmaster. HTH, Elliot

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Definately a trailer tire. It's all in the side wall.

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    You are correct. The purpose of that, as I understand it, is to help eliminate sidewall "roll", especially while changing lanes; thereby maintaining a "true trac". Strange thing is that on a semi-trailer they use recaps from the tractor also:confused2:

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yea, if you put car tars on a boat trailer you can tell the difference.
    It wanders back and forth as it rolls around on the side walls.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ideally, you need to know the weight of the trailer, boat, motors, and all the gear you'll possibly have in the boat while you're trailering it. Then you can look at the load rating on the side of the tire to pick tires that will carry the weight. When I bought my 20' center console deep-V, it came with a single axle trailer; should have had a tandem axle. The tires blew after about 6,000 miles. I checked the rating on the blown tires (yeah, after the horse left the barn), and they were seriously overloaded; and the dealer was on the other side of the country. I ended up buying some heavy-duty RV tires that were rated to carry the load I had, and never had any more trouble.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    As stated, you can buy the cheap ones that may last 1, 2 or even 3 years -or- you can buy the more expensive ones that will last until some thief sees your trailer in the parking lot. Hell of a gamble, these days. LOL