Trailer Tire Question

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Storm27m, May 10, 2008.

1. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Are 4.80 - 8 and 4.80 - 12 tires interchangeable on a trailer. I haven't put them side by side, but they look to have the same tire diameter, just different size. Trailer holds a 16ft jon boat. Thanks

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    No.

The 4.80x12 is a taller tire, and may, or may not, have enough clearance.

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Gotta be kinda careful switching tires.
    One time I changed the trailer tires with some radial car tires.
    The trailed pulled ok but when I unloaded the boat the current picked up the trailer and it floated downstream. Luckily I was on the upstream side of a double wide ramp.
    Your trailer is gonna ride higher with the 12s. Take more water to launch so you'll have to back in further.
    best to ya
    just

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I might be incorrect ,but I think the difference is the rim diameter ,8" vs 12" not interchangable, like putting a 16.5" on a 16" rim wont work.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Richard has it right, the last number is the rim size. You also have to be sure and get the right number of lug, 4 or 5, in your rims. You could use the 4.80 - 12 on your trailer, with new rims, but both tires would have to be the same size. :big_smile:

6. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks for the advice. I meant the entire tire/rim combo, not just the tires. I know the rims are different sizes, but thought the tires had the same outside diameter. I just didn't know if I could swap complete rims/tire setups. Trailer has no brakes to preclude the swap.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If the Lugs match I dont see any problem,Josh. It might take a little remodeling of the fender brackets if they fit too close ,But it is a do-able swap.

8. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Just be careful putting larger tires on your trailer. Been there done that. It was nice cause we could see the boat easier when backing up the trailer, but a pain in the butt because it took twice as much water to get the boat on and off. You may or may not have enough fender clearance, you should measure it first.

9. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You also might want to make sure it isn't wider. If the tire is wider then normal then the inside fender will rub on the tire and cause it to go out over time.

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ha Ha Ha Ha lmao I would have paid to seen that. betcha never seen that one coming? I know radial tires are thinner sidewalled, but i never give that a thought......