Trailer tire problem

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by dwreel, Apr 6, 2006.

1. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Both trailer tires are wearing on the inside only. They have about 4000 miles on them. Tires are original that came with rig. Anybody have an idea what I need to do to stop this uneven wear. There is some minor scalaping on the very outside edge of each tire. Tire markings say " max. pressure= 50#. I've been running 38#. Should I go higher ?

Have attached photo. Hope it comes thru.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    how heavy is the load? i used to work in a garage and i learned low air pressure can cause the sides of the tires to wear first,too much air causes the middle to wear faster.other than that,i'm at a loss.

3. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    I would air the tires up to about 45psi

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Try higher air pressure and also wheel bearings.

5. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Maybe the axle is bent making the tires out of alignment.

6. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    John and Mark are right on!

I am next door to a Goodyear store and had him look at the picture! He said run them at 45lbs and measure for alignment - could have a bent axle or flange - Measure between the tires at the sidewall, top, bottom, front and back - there should not be more then 1/4" difference - that will tell you if you need to take it to a machine shop to align - Also if the wear is on the inside of both it most likely the axle or flange but if it inside on one and outside on the other then one side is closer to the front then the other -
    Hope this helps!

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You ain't got enough air in them thar tares.:) I am serious here.

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    yep every time ive ran my trailer tires lower then called for they wear on the outsides since it bends the tread into a inverted u the outsides will wear and insides wont. air them up check for a bent axle or flange i doubt that is the problem though unless you hit something hard with the trailer.

9. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    The guy from Goodyear just called and said the trailer weight rating too!

You may have way to much weight for the axle rating - should be stamped on the axle!

10. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    Yeah, the axle is supposed to be bent a little where the tires ar closer together at the bottom than at the top until a load is put on the trailer and then they should straighten up.

I had a pontoon trailer that someone had messed with and put the axle on upside down. The tires would get so hot you couldn't touch them. They were spread out at the bottom. I turned the axle back over and the problem was solved.

You also need to check to make sure the spindle nuts are tightened properly. Your hubs could be too loose and wobbling.

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Air the tires up to 50 PSI and that will fix it.
    Pete

12. Bait Eater

Bait Eater New Member

State:
    southwest missouri
    First thing I would do is air the tires up to 45 to 50psi.

13. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    ive read a lot of bubbacats stuff and i know hes the man when it comes to fixen boats but im with grumpy on this one check your axel. ive known more than one person who thought they could haul there boat and half a house full of furnitureaand ruin there axel. ive also seen guys overload there boat with gear and bounce it down the road and bend there axel.if you have a bent axel you can straighten it but odds are youll bend it again fairly quick.im very curious for you to tell us if it was the axel.

14. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i didnt see the part about scalping on the out side . air up tires

15. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Thanks guys. I sincerely appreciate all the comments. I feel that I am now well armed to address the problem. I checked the Goodyear site and as many here have said, my air pressure is way too low. I'm going to make up a story-board of sorts and measure the alighnment. Can to the front to back with boat on trailer but will have to wait till I put the boat in the water to measure the top to bottom. Thats the one i'm worried about.

I checked the owners manuals and the combined weight of boat and motor is 1840#. The current tires are rated for 1780# at 50psi , so the tires are close to being the right size. BUT, being so close AND under inflated, that ain't good.

Again, I am very gratefull for all the help. You, BOC Members, are the greatest. :0a31:

16. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    If the tires are rated at 1780# per tire, then that would give you a capacity of 3,560# as far as the tires go.

17. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Never thought of it that way. ( One track mind I guess) Looks like axle rating is equally or more important. With gas prices what they are, $ 2.65 here now, The tires might be a non-issue.

18. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A quick check for a bent axle, Get a piece of 1 x 2 inch channel iron app 70 ins long ,place it on the front or rear side of the axle,if it makes contact all the way across with a full load on the boat it will be straight. An axle with to small dia. will flex when towing. I build and repair alot of trailers, and most problems with tire wear in most cases is the axle to small.

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    In a recent article in a boating magazine concerning proper trailering they stated that 90% of all tire problems are directly related to 2 things.Improper air pressure,and improper load range.The latest Trailer Boats magazine has an interesting article about types of tires.Previously thinking was that trailers should use only trailer tires marked ST,because these tires have beefed up sidewallls etc designed specifcally for trailering.The article says that now ,tires marked LT (Light Truck) are constructed the same way and can be used.Tires marked P (passenger) are not beefed up and should never be used.I am voting with Bubba as your stated air pressure is way to low.I did the same thing to a set of tires for the same reason.Not saying your axles aren't out of alignment,but to low an air pressure eats tires up.Trailer tires are designed to run at their max air pressure.Good luck:)