Trailer Question

Discussion in 'Boating' started by BigCatDreaming, Mar 1, 2007.

1. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a 14ft semi-v and i was curious to know if I were to put a 14ft flatbottom jon boat on the trailer if there would be any problems i should know about.

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Make sure the jon is centered on it and secured well, shouldn't be a problem.

3. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    If it has a front roller that was designed to fit the keel of the v-hull your new jon boat will sit on the roller but it will not be properly supported. Your v-hull was designed to support the entire weight of the front of the boat on a narrow rib at the bottom of the boat. The jon boat is designed to spread that weight over the entire width of the front end. After a period of time the roller will probably dent the bottom of the jon boat where it rides on the roller.
    My trailer was the same way.
    I just bought a bracket and cut a treated board the width of the front of the boat. It bolted right up to the bracket with galvanized bolts. I covered The board with carpet and now I have proper support for my 1648 jon boat. I left the front roller on as well.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If your talking about piggy backing the jon boat on the V bottom boat, there shouldn't be any problem as long as you brace the top boat and secure them to the trailer properly.

If your talking about replacing the V bottom boat with the jon boat, it is just like David has said. It is always better to be safe than sorry. Look at what your doing and try to determine the positive and negative actions.

5. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    He's absolutely right. I didn't know it would do this when I bought a trailer for my 12' jon. I used it all last year and just the other day, I noticed the huge dent at the front of the boat where it rests on the roller. Now I got to get a support bracket fo it.

6. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I used a bracket like the one below;

I cut the bunk board, covered it with carpet, drilled holes to match the bracket and installed carriage bolts. Then I slipped the board between the boat and the main beam of the trailer, assembled the support straps and when I had the entire thing bolted up I pushed the bunk up until it lifted the boat ever so slightly off of the roller. This step is a two person job unless you use a small jack. If you do be CAREFUL. I saw my uncle poke a hole in a fiberglass boat when a jack shifted.

My carpet has grooves in it now so when we go to recover the boat it lines up in those grooves and then we pull it the rest of the way with the jack.

Easy as pie.

7. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    These brackets are cheap and easy to install.

Attached Files:

8. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    David, where'd you get these brackets from? I looked at BPS.com and all I could find was the pre-assembled jon boat front support bunk for $35.99. I would like to make the thing myself for cheaper if I can only find the right bracket. I found this http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...arClassCode=4&hvarSubCode=6&hvarTarget=browse
    which looks like what you used, but where did you get piece "A" from? I would also like to see your finished product to see exactly how you put it together.

Thanks
    James

9. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I bought mine at a local boat dealership. As you can see the brackets I bought were way too long. It has not been a problem except for on boat ramps with a hump. I have had them drag on those type of ramps. I plan to replace them with shorter ones later. I used a treated decking board for the cross piece. If you do the same be sure the bracket and hardware are either hot dip galvanized or stainless steel. The copper in treated wood will rot regular metal hardware pretty fast.
    As you can see the roller that came on the trailer would have dented the hull on my Jon boat if I had not installed this bunk.

Attached Files:

10. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I agree you need to brace it and get rid of that roller. I didn't know that and I nearly sunk mine. Some how my boat shifted a little and the runners that make the boat track strate in the water. Got up against the bracket that held the roller on and wore a hole in it and I didn't know it. When I got home I took the roller off and patched the hole.