Trailer project

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Bubbakat, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    My brother came to me with a request. Me being a jack of all trades and master of none took on this project.
    He has a good looking Harley and wanted a trailer to haul it on since him and his wife love to ride it about when they are off strolling around. The kicker is that he haules the bike to where ever he is going and then unloads it and rides it around.
    I built him a trailer. and this is what it turned out to be but I didn't show the loading ramp because its still at the shop being welded up as it is aluminum and I have no way of welding that. I started this with a pile of steel and an axle. This is what I came up with.
    The tie downs are hide away inside the flooring. I get a chance I'll take a picture of them. They are kinda neat to say the least.

Attached Files:

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    A couple more. Needs some crome on it. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Dag gum it Bubbakat... there are too many outboard motor problems out there that needs your attention more than a trailer for a perfectly good Harley. Next thing you know, you will be fixing trailers for wave runners. tsk, tsk, tsk, - but it is a pretty decent trailer.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Shoot, Lawerence I have already rebuilt two wave runner trailers this year. My wife has threatened to beat me if I don't clean that mess up in front of the shop before summer is gone. I am in the process of pouring the concrete and building me a big shop to get ready for the day I am suppose to retire.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Willard if it had been a tilt trailer. It would be perfect. LOL Always hated to ride a bike up a channel :eek:oooh:
    Don't ask me how. but there hard to ride up when you have been down about a case and a half.:embarassed:
    Nice looking trailer there.
    Pete

6. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Good gravy fellow, is there anything you can't do? That is a nice trailer right there.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Well jim I will tell you this. There ain't much I can't do but there is a lot of things I won't do.:smile2:

I can dabble in about anything that comes my way. I just wish I could work wood the way you can.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Willard that is a fine looking trailer.The day you fully retire, there will be six men present to see you off. Good luck on getting that new garage built. With work like that you will need the assembly line.:big_smile:

9. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great trailer Willard. The only thing missing, near as I can tell, is something for the oil to drip into. You did say it was for a Harley dincha?:smile2:

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I'm with you there Bubba.. Man Jim is one slick wood worker..
    Pete

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Jeb I will let him worry about the oil drip. :big_smile:

Pete he does do some pretty work. If I had a fourth of his talent I sure wouldn't be reporting in to work at the dept tomorrow at 4 am.

12. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'd say your Bro is a lucky guy.
    Very nice looking rig and I can tell ya... A ready made hauler is a pricy deal.

One thing I might have ask ya to include, is a gravel shield for the front.. 28-30" and a tip back will keep all them nasty rocks and almost all the road spray off the bike.

Very Nice Job! :cool2:

R Green

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Thought of that ron. He is having a piece of plxie (sp) glass cut to go all the way across the front of the trailer. Thought about using aluminum but he wanted something portable. he could remove and store with out a whole lot of lifting.

14. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Good gravy Willard and Pete, I wish I was half as good as ya'll think I am. I am just blown away.

15. Veets

Veets Member

State:
    Illinois
    :0a27: I've seen photos of what you can do Jim and it's pure magic. Your a regular David Copperfield when it comes to working with wood.

And Bubba, that's one sweet looking trailer and to think it all came out of your head and through your hands is something special.:crazy:

It takes all I can muster just to nail couple of boards together. I envy you guys.

16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Veets if I had taken the time to draw out some plans for that thing I would have most likely had the wheels pointing straight up.

Jim you are to modest with your work.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Bubba, come on down and finish out my pontoon trailer.
    I've been waiting 3 months for 2 different people to come weld the new tongue in. I just dont trust myself enough to weld a tongue for that kind of load.
    Its got to get welded this week so I can move it.
    Concrete is coming for my shop. This pour is about 1100 square feet of floor space. Plans for expansion already exist:big_smile:

18. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Mark If I had the time I would be right there, This is our county fair week and guess where I'll have to be for the next 7 nights until around 11.

But mark with your knowledge and eye for detail I would bet you can do that job as good as I can.

19. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Great looking trailer!!!!! It just goes to show you a country boy with a weilder and a pile of scrap iron can build any thing.

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I just watched a program about welding.
    Sound wave welding, structural steel welding, friction welding, wet welding under water, dry welding underwater, and blast welding.
    Blast welding is wild. Over 260 different metal combinations can be welded together by blasting them together with high explosives. Alot of our coinage is the product of blast welding.

The US Navy holds the world record for wet welding at a depth of 2000 feet. That is a man holding an electrode underwater. Not an ROV.:crazy: