Trailer Post Guide Ons - Easy Boat Loading?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Patmansc, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    After months of feeling like a crossed-eyed man with epilepsy, I finally purchased some post guides-ons for my trailer. These, I hope, will make it easier for me to trailer my boat by myself and/or with the wind blowing. Is there anything special I need to know about installing/using these?

2. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I bolted and welded mine on. Mine are a foot from the back of the trailer, and I also have a set about 3 foot forward also and they are connected by a 2x6 covered with carpet. Works great, we have a strong current here and it makes a huge difference.

3. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    Check this out. You know how there is a slight space between your posts and your boat when your boat is up on the trailer ? Well to make putting your boat up on the sweet spot even easier, try this. Take two small sections of 2x4's and attach a framers bracket that they use for putting frames up in houses. These attach to 2x4's by just nailing them toghether. I guess it allows them to throw up the frames easier ? Anways, you wanna attach this bracket backwards, not the way it was intended. This way you have one part of the bracket hanging out in the open, attached to nothing, and then the other part is attached to your 2x4. Use a section of 2x4 that is the same length as the 2x4 that is used on your guide-ons. Now what you do is - after you screwed this bracket to your 2x4 , it is ready to be used at the end of the day when you put your boat up on the trailer. Before backing down all the way ; hand this board on your bunk guide on. This way it will take up the gap and force your boat to the dead center of your trailer. When your boat is sitting on the ramp and out of the water - pull the bracket off, slide it off rather, and you are done. Your boat will be in the center every time. And you can carpet that piece too if you want.

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Muskyman, can you take some pics to go along with your description? If so, I'd like to put this in the library. Great idea.

5. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Yes, please! I was having a hard time visualizing what you were saying. Thanks, Muskyman.

6. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    You guys have a point, I need to get some pics done, I must have sounded like someone trying to get a bill passed through the senate commitee.

7. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    I fish the river all the time and fight the wind and current. I just put a pair on my trailer last year and love them. What I do is back the trailer in the water, and just put the last forward roller under the water. This lets the guide ons stick out of the water and I motor the boat up on the trailer. When the boat hits the most forward roller and gets a little resistance I just gas it a little and presto, the boat is on the trailer and the weight on the forward roller she ain't going nowhere. My boat usaully is center, but I don't have that heavy of a boat. Musky sounds like he has a good system and I would like to see the photos also.

Good fishing!

8. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Man! These are the greatest things ever since metal hooks! They're just the post-type (no rollers), and I bolted them on near the end of my trailer (don't know how to weld). Got my boat dead-on the very 1st try today - the first time ever. Thanks for your suggestions, & muskyman I still would like to see the pictures.

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Send pictures and Info; where did you purchase them? cost? I need some for my boat trailer.

10. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    www.cabelas.com - enter IG-017530 where it says "Catalog Quick Order" and it will bring up the picture. Click on the picture and it will show a larger picture with the details. I got the 36" white ones, for $65. I had to crawl under the trailer to bolt-em on, but it wasn't difficult. Definitely worth the money.

11. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    These things I was talking about are used by my buddy Alan Bertke in Ohio. He has a Lund Tyee, and for those of you who know how big those boats are - you can see why putting the boat on the trailer is such a big deal. They are battleships. Anyways, I need to post the pics. Gimme this weekend, hopefully I will have a cat or two to post as well

12. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    Muskyman can correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like what he is describing is side bunk rails rather than the post guide ons. Just hanging a 2X4 over the existing side bunk to tak up the gap.
    If you purchase the guide ons that bolt to the back of the trailer, just adjust them to within about 1/2 inch or so of the side of the boat and you should be good to go. I say a 1/2 inch just to keep from rubbing to much butter you can make them tighter if you would want to. If you have the posts with rollers, you can adjust them to almost "squeeze" the boat onto the trailer.

13. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    Give that man a dollar !!!!! Yes, you are right ! Sorry I could not get my point across. It just takes up the gap, yup.