trailer lights

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by bigmaac73, Dec 4, 2008.

1. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    I just installed new trailer lights on my little Jon's 14 footer. The old lights worked fine when the wires would stay in but they where cheap lights that you pushed the wires into holes in the back of the light and they would always come out, so I got some that I could splice wires for a more reliable connection. here is my problem. When I have my head lights OFF everything works fine. However when I turn my headlights ON everything goes nuts. When I brake the lights go out, and when I hit a turn signal both lights blink. Dont matter which turn signal I hit but if the lights are off they work fine. Any idea what my problem is. Everything worked fine on the old lights and all i did was change the light.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    What year is your vehicle. The newer vehicles require a conversion kit in order to hook up trailer lights. Check with one of your local auto part stores. Other than that, there is a cheap tester these auto parts stores sell, think its less than $5.00. You may want to invest in one of them. I'd hate to think it's just your wiring, as it seems fairly straight forward.

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Sounds like your ground wires are in the wrong place,,The wires should be colored coded if you bought the set Like I did and borrowed a tester and checked that way, one light at a time//Brake,turns,parking,reverse ect..

4. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I'm with kenny. I had the same problem on my boat trailer. There was a white wire (ground) hanging off the pigtail that plugs into your pickup that wasn't hooked up to anything. When I grounded that wire to the trailer, everything worked perfectly. Some lights do not require a ground, but if they do, they will act just like your are describing if not properly grounded. Good luck! Hope you can get it figured out!:big_smile:

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    The Bro,s are right check your ground:big_smile:

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    take jumper cables and hook from trailer to truck bumper and see if they work? if they do its a ground issue!! and thats what it sounds like to me..

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i had a problem last year with my lights and thought it was the ground on the trailer end, well i hooked to my father-in-laws trailer and still had the problem so i knew it was my truck, and the funny thing was they worked in the fall when i parked the boat, i would blow a fuse when i put on my turn signal or one side would go out, it wound up being my pigtail was bad on the truck, after replacing that everything was fine

8. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I've had that happen before too Lenny. To be so simple, trailer lights can be a real pain to figure out sometime. Last year, my trailer lights would work fime as long as they were hooked up to mine or my brother's truck, but when you would hook it up to my dad's new tahoe, it wouldn't do anything. After about an hour of tracing wires and changing bulbs, we figured out there was a fuse blown under the hood of his truck:confused2:. Whatever happened to technology making thing easier:big_smile:?