Trailer lights?

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by Bigones, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ok brothers I am having trouble with my trailer lights. Everything is working exept the marker lights on the side of the trailer. It is a trackor trailer and has the wires running threw the trailor so I can't see if there is anything broke but everything else works so there shouldn't be a broke wire. I checked the fuses in my 2000 gmc sierra and don't see any blow. They did work I was coming home from the river last night and seen they where out. They where working berore I left. I checked to be sure. Don't know what it could be. Any suggestions?

2. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    check your grounds. thats what my problem is most of the time.

3. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Have they worked in the past or is this the first time you hooked them up? Flat four plugs, if that's what you have, are different. Some have 4 wires and some have 5. Count the wires going into the plug end on the truck and on the trailer. If they're different, replace the plug on the trailer.

I don't think it's the main ground wire from the trailer, since your other lights work. It could be the ground wires from the marker lights to the main wire, but I kind of doubt that too, because I think you were saying both of them are out.

So, then I would try using a volt meter and start from the wires out of your truck blinkers to the truck plug. Use the needles of the volt meter and poke right through the wire coating and tape back when done. Or better yet, use liquid electrical tape sold at any auto parts store. Make sure the blinker is on for the side your checking. If you have power there, work your way back to your truck plug then to the trailer plug and so on til you get to the lights. Either something has come loose or a wire is bad. Fix or replace that section of the wire.

It's a process of elimination and may take up to an hour to troubleshoot.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I had the same problem on my tracker trailer i ended up replacing the complete wireing harness and tail lights. a little hint though I drilled a couple of extra drain holes in the bottom of the rail to allow the water to drain better. havnt had a problem since ai did that and that has been over a year now.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Look at the number of times per year your trailer wires and possibly lights are submerged in water. The wires can get so bad you can actually see a green mold (corrosion) in the wires. Also, the side marker lights usually ground to a trailer via a screw mounting the lights to the frame. Very easy to get rust there. If you examine your wires and decide it is time to replace them, take the extra time and maybe $3.00 expense and run a ground wire between both lights and to your wire connection to your vehicle. Normally trailers ground through the ball...but you can and often do get a weak ground this way. Run a separate ground wire - it can save you a lot of troulbel shooting time and replacement costs.

6. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    The white wire is your ground wire. Make sure it is connected at the truck. Then make sure the white wire is hooked to you trailer, without
    any corrosion. Grounding problems are the problem, most of the time.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Grease the sockets of all your bulbs with Vaseline or better still "Contact Grease." It keeps your bulbs from corroding in their sockets.peewee-williams

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I think he's talking about a semi trailer. I would first check the bulbs. and the check the sockets for poer and grounding. But its sounds to me that the main connectio for the marker lights is bad. How many marker lights are you running?

9. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was talking about my boat trailer. I only have one on each side. Peewee Williams hit the nail on the head after about two hours of fooling around with thim I seen a bunch of corrosion on the fixture and after I scraped it off they worked fine. I will defenitly get some contact grease and put it on there. Thanks for the advice. I just wouldn't of ever guessed they both would go out the exact same time while driving down the road. I figured I pinched a wire or something. Thanks everyone for the help.

10. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Try doing what my dad showed me. Run a ground wire to all your lights and you don't have to worry about having ground problems anymore. Then you're using the ground from your vehicle which is a better ground.

11. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    what year is your tracker?

12. moore42420

moore42420 New Member

State:
    Henderson, KY
    I had a problem with my marker lights on the trailer and I found out that the lights come off of one wire and then ground to the trailer. Where the screws bolt to the trailer were rusted so I pulled the lights off used some sanpaper to rough up the hole where the screw goes in and then put a new screw in. After that the lights worked. I would say to check to see if the light is getting a ground first.