Trailer Light Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by keithcatfish, Nov 21, 2006.

1. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    I go through trailer light set ups like underwear. They always leak, get corroded, short out etc..Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce or eliminate this problem? This is cutting into my fishing time. THANKS.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    here is what my friend FuzzFace and I came up with. This is his boat. The metal cost about 20.00 and the welding was free.... LOL. My boat has the same thing, but are not as tall as Gary's. They sure make it easier to back the trailer also.

Attached Files:

3. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have the same problem Keith.That set up looks like it would work great.Thx for the post Lawrence.

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Go with LED lights. I believe most of the new trailers are using these lights, supposedly you don't have to worry about unplugging your trailer lights when you back into the water ever again.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    My trailer has the waterproof lights; i've only changed one side that blew out, in over 4 years. I never unplug them or anything. However, if I was installing new ones, they would be LED. I could have installed new led's for not too much more than the waterproof modules cost.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

I like it alot! Not only does it get the lites outa the water and away from the ground. It gives ya somethin to get a mark on in your mirrors when backin up.

7. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    LED or incandescent, that's just preference. Just be certain to use sealed lights. That will end your troubles.

8. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    sealed lights work the best in my experience

9. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I haven't found any waterproof lights that are really waterproof. Been through three sets in five years. Still go through the ritual of unplugging them every time!

10. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    LED's are the way to go. Even if the casings leak, the individual led lights are not likely to short out because of how they are made.

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Go with the LED's, I've got them on my trailer both low & the high ones that go into 2" pvc pipe, they are great when guiding your boat on @ night, you got light & guide posts @ the same time:smile2:

12. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    LEDs are the way to go. I bought a set last year and don't see me buying another set anytime in the near future. Mine aren't out of the water either, they are placed low on my trailer and I never unplug them. Vern

13. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I put simi truck trailer taillights on my boattrailer years ago,they are sealed and I've only had one blow out in all these years.

14. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    Thanks for the great suggestions. You guys rule!! I think I'm leaning toward the LED lights but I couldn't find any that fit the recess in my trailer. The LEDs I have seen would require some sort of creative mounting that would make using the gasket supplied with the kit very difficult to use (I suspect this would effect how waterproof they are). Any body seen rectangular LEDs approximately 6in x 2in x 2in so they would fit my trailer?

THANX!

15. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Can you post a picture of what yours look like now?

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would take one to your local NAPA store. IF they don't have it, I am sure they can order it for you. Most auto parts store have marine manuals they can order parts from. I think they are slightly less in price than an outboard repair shop sells the same thing for... LOL

17. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I use regular lights and unplug them. I do put grease on the contacts of the bulbs. Have not had to change any for a long while.
    Bill

18. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I put LED lights on all my trailers and if you never want a light problem then run a ground wire from each light to the plug on your trailer and eliminate the trailer frame as a ground. Thats the biggest cause of light problems that I've found is rusty connections on the trailers.

19. flahead_61

flahead_61 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've had my boat about 6 yrs. have only had 6 problems about 1 a yr. next time a problem arises I'll try some of these suggestions. Thanks Everyone

20. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've been running my trailer lights like awshucks for years. I can see them better when backing, when loading, and they never get underwater so you don't have to buy special anything. I also solder and heat shrink any splices. I just rewired my boat trailer this spring with new tail lites and wiring, and spent less than 25.00. Later Andy