Trailer light problem

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Seth, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Both lights are lit up when I have the headlights on. When I hit the brakes, the left tail light shuts off and the right one doesn't do anything. My left turn signal works fine, but my right turn signal does nothing. No matter what I do, the right taillight is always on, but break lights and and turn signal are not working.

I just installed new trailer lights and they have a good connection to the wiring harness. Could it be that I need a new wiring harness or a new plug that hooks into my trucks wiring?

2. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    they make this little connector that you can hook to your trucks pigtail and it tell you everything. its like 3 bucks at walmart..

3. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    It sounds as though the connection isn't made right or the ground between the two vehicles isn't established well.

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i had the same kind of problem when i got my boat. the contacts on the truck and the trailer pigtail were not getting a good connection. i took a wire brush to the contacts and it worked fine after that. make sure you disconnect your battery first. if not you might blow your fuse.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Couple of questions...what year is your truck. At a certain point, they started putting the vehicle's tail light and stop light on separate circuits. If you have a newer vehicle, you need to go to an auto supply store and get a converter for your trailer...costs around $13.00. Secondly, are you sure you have the lights hooked up properly? It sounds like you may have one or two of the wires attached to the wrong light wires. Third, run a separate ground...don't count on your trailer ball giving you a good ground. Most of the time they will...but that is most of the time - not always. My preference is to run a separate white wire from the left light assembly to the right light assembly and to the wiring connector - I pay $0.16 per foot for the wire at Lowe's. The connector on the vehicle must have a wire attached to a good, solid ground. That will eliminate about 85% of your problems before you even encounter them. LOL

6. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    first check to be sure you have good a ground , I have seen the problem you have many times, most of the time it is the ground. I fixed the ground on one of my trailers last week , was doing the same thing.

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I will check the ground wire tomorrow. If I remember right, it didn't look like it was attached to the trailer very well. It probably vibrated loose a little over time. Hopefully that's my problem.

It's not the vehicle because I tried the boat hooked up to multiple wiring harnesses and it does the same thing on each one. This ranges from a 96 cummins to a 2005 Ford Ranger.

8. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    sounds like a ground to me, mine did the same thing when i hooked new ones up. the ground on the signals themselves weren't solid, double checked em and now they work fine.

9. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    It's the never ending trailer light problem. They are the devil's spawn. They're one of those "can't live with them, can't live without them" things. :smile2:

Sounds like a ground problem to me as well.

10. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    It sounds to me that you have the brake wire (usually black) and the running light wire (usually brown) crossed you may want to check that. Just an idea.