Trailer Hubs - Care & Feeding of!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Patmansc, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    How often should trailer hubs be greased, and what other kind of maintenance do they need?

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i tear mine down twice a year and in between i just pump a litle grease into them i have the bearing buddies and love em. when i tear mine down i clean the bearings real good hubes etc check the bearings and races for wear etc. some people say i am a bit extreme on doing it the way i do mybe so but i havnt lost a wheel bearing yet.

3. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    I think it would depend on the amount of trailering you do. I trailer around 10,000 miles a year, so I flush mine out 1-2 times a year. I also use nice seals on the backside - the double lipped ones. This gives you 2 edges to keep the grease in and water out. When and if one of the edges fails - and it will - the other will keep the grease in.

4. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I wait till I hear the grinding and smell burning rubber. Actually I keep the bearing buddies fully greased and check the temp after a long haul.

5. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Most of my trips are short ones and I pump a tube of grease in mine each fall. I have the spindle lube hubs and one tube will pump all the old grease out and refill a hub. My trailer is 8 years old and the hubs have never been pulled off. I do feel of them occasionally after towing to make sure they are not hot. If I was making long trips, I would do a little more than what I do though.

6. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    All of the above are good tips & Grumpy touched on another one. Make a habit when towing of feeling of the trailer hubs when ever you stop for gas, food, etc. This way you may save yourself breaking down in the middle of nowheresville. If they are hot to the touch then you need to take care of the problem right then! Also may save you a big repair bill by catching it before they self destruct and possibly ruin the spindle also.

Frank

7. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I dont know about anyone else but since i do make some long drives to fish and they seem to get longer each year. i carry a extra hub with bearings grease etc in my toolbox on the truck.ive never needed it yet but ive helped people out over the years with it lol. this is the 3rd new set and i only bought one lol. seems to me that the wheel bearings are the most neglected part of the trailer and since most of them go under water it should be a part checked on a regular baises.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Before you grab the hub to see it it is hot, hold your hand close to it to see if its' giving off heat. Make a mistake and you can fry your hand. I remember one time on I-64 near Williamsburg, VA. A boat trailer tire passed our vehicle. Then our truck started lurching around. We had twisted the axle clean off the trailer and never heard a squeak from the hub... Makes you learn to use the buddy bearing caps a whole lot more often than you had previously.

9. ronnycl

ronnycl Member

State:
    NW/MS
    I will pull the hub and check the bearing once a year. Be sure to repack the bearing properly by putting the grease in the palm of your hand and foring the new grease into the actual bearing!! Most importantly.